Mini14 Fixed Power Scope Options/Suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heisenberg

Bearcat
Im a fixed power scope geek and have them mounted on a number of my bolt, lever, and pump rifles.
Recently picked up an 18" Mini and thought "What the heck....why not"

Im leaning towards a Leupold FXII 4x33 (1" tube)
Curious if others have mounted this one or others and what your thoughts were.
Also what ring options did you find worked best / worst / or other?
Which Ruger rings did you use?

G2

Hunter
Everytime I think about mounting a scope on a mini14 it reminds me of this... :shock: :shock: :D
414002425.jpg

I like your pick,
I would go with the Ruger Rings. I think with that scope you could go down one height in ring, but that is a trial and see what works for you.

My early wood top mini14 no scope.
P1010011-1.jpg

ejb69

Bearcat
I used the rings that came with my mini to mount a Leupold VX3i 2.5 - 8 scope . A fixed 4 power scope would be fine .

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I just picked one up myself minus the rings. A kind gentleman on here sold me a set of 4B Ruger rings at a good price and I was thinking along the same lines as you with a light compact Leupold in order to retain some of its handling qualities. Either that or a compact 2-7x would be perfect.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Yeah, with that welded scope setup pictured above, think of all the $$ he saved by making his own??

Back to the original question. Much depends on the intended use. I like to somewhat match the scope to the gun type & expected use/shot distance. With a more compact rifle I'd want a compact scope, 2.5-8, 2-7, maybe 3-9. In your instance a 4x would do.

Now if checking accuracy or going prairie dogging, more power & good quality allows for a more precise target picture. That high power scope(larger) would be a bit out of place on a compact gun. Of course individual preferences, type of hunting/shooting, and hunting style/cover can all factor in.

coach

Hunter
I have a 2-7 scope on a ranch rifle. Mounting is pretty easy with the integral mount and rings. The 2-7 works well out to 100 yards and closer. A nice compact scope on a compact rifle. I've seen picatinny rails that look like they would work fine. It could be done a lot nicer than the bubba weld job mount.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Heisenberg said:
Im a fixed power scope geek and have them mounted on a number of my bolt, lever, and pump rifles.
Recently picked up an 18" Mini and thought "What the heck....why not"

Im leaning towards a Leupold FXII 4x33 (1" tube)
Curious if others have mounted this one or others and what your thoughts were.
Also what ring options did you find worked best / worst / or other?
Which Ruger rings did you use?

I went with a Burris Timberland in 4X. Smallest scope I could find. Slight rear bell, straight up front tube.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
I ended up going with a Leupold 2.5x in a set of medium factory rings
Im pleasantly surprised at how nice the set up is, its actually better than I had hopped
I thought it would be too high but its an absolutely perfect cheek-weld
No more tilting my head to use the stock irons
The 2.5 power is like having bionic irons (move over Steve Austin)
Ive only course zeroed to 12x12 steel @ 50 (standing) and hits are fast & easy
Ill be curious to see what happens when I fine zero on a bench @ 100

And yes the bolt slips out just fine :D

IMG-8466.jpg