M77 MKII scope mounting options, and trigger job?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Racer9

Single-Sixer
I have the SS M77 MKII in .243, I used the 5k30 and 6k30 mounting rings, but that puts the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope too far forward, and I really have to lean into it to get the correct sight picture. It's very uncomfortable. There does not seem to be offset 30mm mounts. What are my options? I did see the "Weig-a-tinny" mount, is that the best bet?
The trigger is also pretty bad, will the MCarbo spring and a little polishing do the trick, or should I go all out for the Timney?
It's really meant mostly for target shooting, I don't hunt anymore.
Thanks in advance.

Racer9

Single-Sixer
The Weig-a-tinny mount I'm considering.
Ruger-MKII-Rifle-Silver.jpg

Might have to go with a cantilever style scope mount.
114583.webp

Racer9

Single-Sixer
OK, so I did some experimentation with wifely assistance. In order to get a good sight picture I need the scope to be about 2.75" from my eye. With the Ruger rings it is about 4.75". If I mount the rear ring ahead of the scope turrets, it's about right, but of course that leaves the front of the scope just hanging.
The way I see it, I have to go with the above option, or get a different scope.
My scope is listed at 3.1" eye relief, if I'm right I need a bigger number? They have a different model with 4.1".

BTW, there is plenty of room for the 4k and 5k rings on this setup, no need to go to 5k and 6k.

Racer9

Single-Sixer
Well actually, going by Boyds video, my stock should be 1/2" longer than it is. That would make matters worse.
I'm thinking the eye relief is the main issue. I took this scope off an AR where it was great. The M77 locates the scope further forward.
I'm looking for a scope with 4" eye relief.

I will ask, do you have other rifles? If so what is the trigger length on them vs this rifle.
If no other rifles, measure your trigger length. A standard length of 13.5 maybe to short. If you need longer there are spacers etc that can fix the problem. You do not say, is this a new or used rifle when purchased? Many need a shorter length of pull and shorten the stock.
Before adding height to get a scope mount and rings, if it were me I would add length to the stock so you do not need to climb up into the scope losing the cheek weld. Answering your question I placed a timmey trigger in my "FTW" 6.5 and it took a little work, I do 95% of all gunsmithing on my guns and it was not hard. The end is 5 shot groups from around 1 inch to about 1/2 inch at 100 yard. The weight is about 2 lbs down from about 6 lbs as I recall. This is a range/bench gun for me and the weight is fine by me. It would be to light for field hunting and carry in my book. But, it is adjustable. I put a Leupold 4.5x14 with 50mm objective lens with leupold tall rings. I have 1 spacer in the butt plate. This rifle comes with 3 spacers. If this scope sat much higher I would need a comb with adjustment of more height to fit me. I have not shoot the rifle prone yet, so not sure if the comb will still work through position shooting. I do not know what the eye relief is compared to yours. The eyepiece is slightly further back than the rear part of the action, maybe 1/4 inch?.

Racer9

Single-Sixer
Good idea, and what I plan to do. I have a laminated M77 SS .22WMR heavy barrel (my favorite!) with a Vortex CrossfireII scope on it. I'm going to get that out at do some measuring and comparing. This rifle (.243) measures out at 13.75" LOP (trigger length), I actually need a little longer.
I just bought a Vortex Diamondback tactical for the .243, it has almost an inch more eye relief, and the part of the scope behind the turrets is an inch longer than the Viper that I already have, and tried to put on it. That should put everything where I need it.
I have the 5k and 6k rings now, but I can swap the 6k for a 4k and drop the scope down a little, if I have the room. That means moving the 5k to the rear, for anyone who doesn't know these rifles have 2 different height mounts.
I bought this rifle used, it has the Zytel stock, so I'm going to the Boyds AT-One stock for it. That will also give me some adjustments.

Thanks for the trigger info. I'm going with the MCarbo spring kit and a little polishing for now, I can always update it later.

I went to Leupolds web and on my scope the 4.5x14x50mm has about the same eye relief you listed. I think it was close to 3.5 to 4.5 inches depending on power setting.

Racer9

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone. I'm just waiting for the new scope to arrive, I'll mount it up and see where I'm at.

Racer9

Single-Sixer
I know the pic is 'yuge, but I can't figure out how to make it any smaller.
The upper scope is the one I had planned to use, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44.
The lower one is the "new" one I got pre-owned from another forum, Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50.
You can see the added length behind the turrets, and it has an inch more eye relief. should work out great, but I didn't have time to mount it up yet.
The previous owner didn't save the box or swag that comes with the it, I contacted Vortex and they offered to send me that stuff, plus a hat! 8)

mAhh0W6.jpg

Racer9

Single-Sixer
Out with the old, in with the new! Boyds Prairie Hunter Nutmeg Laminate.
wKhXuY9m.jpg

Also polished the trigger parts, and used a different sear spring. The spring I got from Wolff was longer and actually increased the pull, but I found one in my stash that worked well, down to about 3.75lbs.
Wolff stands behind their stuff, and refunded my money. So if anyone wants a trigger/sear spring for a M77, I'll send it for postage cost.