Ruger Ranch rifle .223 magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gundogblue

Bearcat
I'm going to a gun show tomorrow and want to pick up a few Ruger 20 rnd magazines for my 195 series Ranch rifle in .223. Are the mags for the mini 14 the same as the mags for the Ranch rifle?
Thanks,
Paul

mpalm

Single-Sixer
Watch out for the 10 round mags. They have a spotty quality control issue that has forced me to return mine. Bought them in 2015...had nothing but jamming problems. The first 5 shots work perfectly, then 6/7/8/9/10 is a gamble, usually one or two will fail to feed. These mags are clean and not abused at all. Ruger must know there is a problem. I got an immediate email response from Customer Service.
"An order has been placed for a new magazine for your Ruger Mini 14 Rifle. It is order # 955836 - please allow 7-10 business days.

Ruger Customer Service

gundogblue

Bearcat
I'm glad you told me this, as I was also gonna get two 10 rounders as well as the two 20 rounders.

wd4ins

Bearcat
I'm not trying to hijack your thread gundogblue but this seems like a good place to ask this question.
I've bought several factory 20 round magazines in the last few years and they all have worked great but they just don't seem to be as well made (refined) as the ones from 20 years ago. Is it just me or were they a lot better made back then?

gundogblue

Bearcat
I don't want to change my own subject, but it seems EVERYTHING was better made back in the day. When I was a kid it was almost unheard of for a firearm having to go back to the factory for repair, it seems no matter what gun you buy today or how much you pay for it, it's possible for you to get a lemon. I've owned quite a few new guns that we'rent right and had to go back to the factory for one reason or another.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
As far as magazines go....they use different vendors to build them for Ruger. so quality is not always the best. I heard that they used Promag for mini 14 mags at one time and I've heard nothing good about Promags.
Mec-gar made the P89 magazines for a long time and they were top quality.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I just bought two 20's and one 30 round Ruger mags used and they all run flawlessly with brass cased ammo. None of them nor the five rounder will feed polymer coated steel cased ammo.

wanderson

Bearcat
If Ruger ever got Promag to make 'em, I hope they were smart enough to switch back.

Colt tried the same thing with their 9mm SMG mags for ARs, Metalform made them for years and they switched to another company like ASC or CProducts, and immediately had issues. Within a few years they switched back to Metalform.

Promag is hit or miss with me, although if they're the only hi cap option I'll take a chance. Sometimes a stronger spring or tweaking feed lips is all it takes. My Promag S&W Shield 9mm 10 round has never jammed and while it's obviously not as stout as S&W factories, they work. I've also chunked a few Promags in the trash over a lifetime.

Anyone tried the new Tapco gen 2 30 round polymer mags? I know the gen 1s were terrible but I see good things about the gen 2 with the steel reinforced front. I've had good luck with Tapcos in AKs & SKSs for good cheap disposable range mags.