On the subject of #3s ?s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi I recently acquired two #3s 44 mag and 375 win both are very nice with the exception of the 44 has a sling swivel in the butt stock and the 375 has one in the butt stock and the for end so my question is how much does this effect the value ?and what is the going price for these I have been checking GB and the asking prices lately have been north of $ 1000 but not selling I am just trying to figure out if I screwed myself

Gramps

pete44ru

Hunter

Just my $0.02, but presumably you bought them because you liked them, so your happiness/satisfaction would transcend any value - so please don't beat yourself up over values.

G2

Hunter
One would think that with the recent No.1 44Mag that it would have had an effect on the No.3, but they are so different and the price of the No.1 being in the 14-1500 range the No.3 is worth every bit of that.

You might be in luck, and I would definitely get the 44 Mag fixed up. :wink: SteveRuger had this post recently;

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=275521&p=2753984&hilit=Stock#p2753984

As for the 375W, the scarcity of the brass and ammo slowed them down just a bit, but that's fixed now. My 375W is a good shooter.
As to value, All the rest, 375, 3040, 22h, 223, 4570 seem "to sell" in 800-995 range depending on condition. Once they break 1000 they usually need the box and be pristine to sell. The order I put them in seems to be the price from high to low, the 223 & 4570 seem to be the on the lower end, really don't see them for less than 600 anymore.

Congrats on the finds, check the sn# list sticky and add yours if it's not there. :wink:

My 44M's, totally different feel, the No.3 is still my favorite.
413180433.jpg

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I've never really been a fan of the No. 3, at least, in its OEM form. That said, I currently have 3, but none are in their original form. :wink:

Since many No. 3s seem to have been destined to be used for custom projects, who am I to argue? I have a nice custom 222 started by J.K. Cloward and completed by me :roll: Next I acquired a stock Liberty 22 Hornet, and immediately put a nice set of custom wood on it; its a svelte, walk-around beauty (no sling swivels!). Finally, I just picked up someone else' custom project that was a stock 223, but had very nicely done English walnut wood added with PG, Pachmayr Old English pad and rosewood fore-end tip, and the lever has been modified nicely for use with the PG stock. It also came with a Kepplinger set trigger and a nice retro Simmons 6.5-20 silhouette scope. All for $699. :)

I subsequently bought a 1S 7 Mag barrel on eBay and sent it and the No. 3 barreled action of to have the 1S barrel lined to 32-30 and fitted to the No. 3 action. Not sure what wood it will get, but probably the custon Neglish walnut set with the bulbous, inelegant fore-end reshaped and shortened.

As for the original topic - I think any No. 3 44 Mag is worth a good bit. Of course any alterations, like adding those stupid sling swivel studs that every No.3 owner seems to have done, will have a negative affect on value.

FWIW, I bought a 1S fore-end on eBay that had a sling swivel in it :evil: :roll: :cry: :roll:
I decided to insert a PG medallion in the hole and I think it looks pretty good and adds a touch of uniqueness to the rifle it's on now.

Hi I paid $1000 for the 44 and $800 for the 375 both from a friend that's been out of work for about 2 years I think I paid $100 to much for the 375 but he is a friend so it was a help him out kind of deal I didn't start out to collect #3s but saw a mint Hornet about 4 yrs ago for cheap then a yr later a mint 45-70 with the blind receiver screw and aluminum butt plate $420 and now these two I guess I got to look for the 30-40 and the 223 it is a sickness :lol:

Gramps

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I'd say you did pretty well on the 44 Mag and yes, you overpaid on the 375 Win. but since you were helping a friend, it's no big deal.

That's a very early 45-70 you have; one that early should not be D&T for scope bases.

Finding a 30-40 and 223 should be easy. There are always some for sale on the internet auction sites and/or gun forums.

Now all you have to do is find all the Liberty marked No. 3s and you'll have the start of a good collection. :wink: