Ruger American AI magazine problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3000fps

Bearcat
Picked up an Ruger American, go wild camo, 6.5 Creedmore and really like it except for the magazine, it's a pain to seat properly. Took it to Alabama a couple of weeks ago for the last days of deer season and had time to fiddle with it and see if it was operator error or what. It's just plain difficult to get it properly seated. It'll "click" like its in but not really and falls out. It'll seat but takes effort. I can imagine putting the magazine in at oh-dark-thirty on a hunt and having it fall out
What's the fix? Do I need to send it to back to the factory? Will an after market magazine work better? Do all Ruger with an AI plastic magazine work like this?
Thanks

gunzo

Hunter
Try putting one less round in the mag, or try seating the mag with the bolt open.

Sometimes things need a bit of vigor to send them home.

The next course of action is a common term, call Ruger. See what they say about it.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
If the magazine is the standard AICS type and the one not working is plastic, it may be that the locking ledge or feed lips are a bit too thick. I'd try a metal type. I use both in a few different rifles and the metal ones fit much looser than the plastic version. That may give the extra clearance you need.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Does it click in OK with the bolt removed? If so it might be that the lug on the magazine is a little to tall for the latch.

3000fps

Bearcat
Yup, that did it, removed the bolt and the magazine clicked in nicely. So what's the fix if the bolt lug is interfering ? Send it back to Ruger? I talked to them the other day and they're sending me another magazine.
For for the previous reply: Who makes a good metal magazine?

3000fps

Bearcat
New magazine arrived yesterday but didn't fix the problem. Whats aggravating is you put the magazine in, smack it with your palm, it clicks like it should, but it's not and just comes out. I'll call Ruger and see about sending it back

3000fps

Bearcat
New magazine arrived yesterday but didn't fix the problem. Whats aggravating is you put the magazine in, smack it with your palm, it clicks like it should, but it's not and just comes out. I'll call Ruger and see about sending it back

3000fps

Bearcat

3000fps

Bearcat

mike4570

Bearcat
I wonder if the magazine catch is a hair to long. You can also try some of the Magpul AICS pattern magazines. Been using them in my Scout and am pleased with them.