Question about the New PC9 and different Magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This is possibly a strange question potential discussion...

The new PC9 is a great idea and potential rifle but even with it's mag. inserts that will allow for 3 different types that is still limiting.

I would like the rifle to accept older 'P' series magazines in 9mm and seeing how many of these pistols were made why doesn't ruger just make an insert for these? It can't be that hard?

On top of that why can't they do the same thing for say the Sig P226... there has to be a couple million of those sitting around?

Now my real question is if Ruger is not going to make the adapter for either of the above is there a way to do this yourself? I really don't want to buy Glock, Security 9 or American magazines to see if I can do this myself let alone one each of these guns....

I have experimented with this is a way... I've discovered that a Ruger P series mag can be adapted to work in a Sig P226 and I think the opposite could be done if I could figure out an easy way to cut/punch a rectangular hole in the front side of the mag....

2nd question.... why are there so many different varieties of mags? It seems that every time Ruger (or any manufacture) comes out with a new pistol it takes a totally different type of magazine... why not just allow the new pistol to accept a 'generic' magazine? Seems maybe Glock does this? I'm not sure since I'm not a Glock fan.... maybe I should be asking this in the Semi-auto pistol section....

Sorry, I'm rambling....

grobin

Blackhawk
Magazines are a high profit item. Correct feed is difficult so making a magazine to fit the pistols feed is a no brainer!

Good luck with your interchange project, you can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their back.

rangerbob

Buckeye
As grobin pointed out, magazines are a $$$ making event. I'm told that Bill himself mandated new magazines for new models to sell more magazines. I'm surprised that a polymer manufacturer like Magpul or others have not come out with magazine adapters for the Ruger 9mm carbine, certainly for the P226 and M9 magazines. One could add the S&W m59 and Browning Hi-power, as well. Kriss Vector just came out with their 33 round mag conversion for the 15 round 10mm Glock mag and their 40 Rd for the G17 mag. Now if we could just get a 10mm carbine from Ruger. Bob!! :mrgreen:

mpalm

Single-Sixer
It is crazy ridiculous that they dont make a Ruger P- series mag well adapter for the PCC.....There are literally thousands of P guns out there and millions of P series magazines. The P series guns are tanks and will last forever! Write to the CEO at Ruger!

If I had the time and money, I'd buy a new PC9 and figure out how to do it myself..... I suspect it would not be that hard to modify the magazine insert so that it would take either older P series magazines or Sig P226 ones.... they are both pretty much the same except for how they are latched in.

Yes, but I don't have any Glock Pistols and have no desire to own one,,,, the same for the later Ruger ones that use the same mags that work in the PC9.... on the other hand I do own a number of 9mm Ruger P series pistols as well as a couple of the classic Sig P226s.

grobin

Blackhawk
Two points:
1. making an arbitrary magazine work with the PC 9 may not be possible without changing the feed ramp or bolt, machine work possibly on both the magazine and the PC9.
2. the GLock magazines from Magpull work fine and are ~1/2 the cost or much less than the magazines for Bozo the Wonder Gun. So you have a bunch of those congratulations!

swoter

Bearcat
I don't own any Glock pistols either, but decided to go with the Glock mags from Magpul due to cost. I have about 10 of them. I put the Glock adapter in as soon as I bought the rifle, and haven't used the other.