Finally got a Mini30.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

exavid

Hunter
I've had my Mini14 for a long time and have been looking around for a Mini30 and Monday I found a nice one at a decent price. This morning I took it out to the range to see how it worked. Very nice, pretty decent accuracy at 200yds. It came with scope rings and mount so I need to put a scope on it so I can see how it does further out. I haven't fired a 7.62x39 before so I wasn't sure how it would do. Very nice for a little rifle that handles so well and launches a .30 caliber round with so little recoil.

gunman42782

Hunter
I had one for a little while, but during the last Administration I was offered so much for it, I just had to sell it! They are fun guns, for sure. Still got my Mini 14.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I've had my Mini 30 going on three years now, liking it a lot. Got some Ruger brand 20 round magazines for it, but use the issued 5 rounders the most.

If you can find some PPU Soft Point Round Nose ammo, try it. My Mini 30 favors it head and shoulders above all other ammo I've tried for accuracy. Hard hitting, too.

Pic is five rounds of PPU Soft Point fired from the prone position at 100 yards on the steel rabbit:

414142966.jpg

hittman

Staff member
I'd buy one if Ruger would guarantee it'll be trouble free with cheap commie ammo. I'm not spending money on 762x39 brass cased stuff. Plus my AKs shoot really well and digest everything without fail.

Beautiful Mini though!

gunzo

Hunter
hittman said:
I'd buy one if Ruger would guarantee it'll be trouble free with cheap commie ammo. I'm not spending money on 762x39 brass cased stuff. Plus my AKs shoot really well and digest everything without fail.

Beautiful Mini though!

Quoting for total agreement on my part. With total dependability, the stainless synthetic might be the ultimate truck, ATV, ranch gun on the planet.

Good sights, plus the Ruger ring system & the additional drilled & tapped holes for other mounting options.

One I would buy wouldn't even need a factory guarantee, just seeing a few videos with the gun running well on surplus ammo would get my money. Other platforms perform with this diet, the Mini should too !

Sorry, but I've never seen a need to shoot crappy commie ammo in a decent gun. Then again, I've never had much respect for the AK47 in that it was designed and built to be picked up by a soldier in the 2nd wave and then another in the 3rd.... All using that stinky commie ammo, but then some guys will mail order a Russian woman and have her sent over...... probably not much different.

Congrats on the Mini-30.

Back in the 90's I had a SS ranch mini 30. I couldn't tell the difference in recoil between it and my Remington bolt action .308. It shot everything I put in it, even steel cased rounds. Not a tack driver by any means, but adequate. It was abysmally heavy, and I sold it, because carrying it around was such a chore. Enjoy yours!
gramps

Folks spend a lot of time judging. I don't shoot commie ammo. But if it's the only ammo a guy could get, then it would be wise to know ahead of time that your gun will shoot it. That's all.

I am never at a shortage of ammo, and when I had any one of my four Mini 30's, I shot nearly exclusively, brass cased ammo. But, covering all the bases, I also had some commie ammo socked away. But it's only real value to me at the time, was for trading stock, as only one of my Mini's would shoot the stuff reliably.

rangerbob

Buckeye
My Mini-30 functions well with the Red Army Standard ammo, as well. I use it in situations where I can't find or hunt for my brass. I've got PPU, Fiochhi, and S&B brass cased stuff for reloading as well as handloads with new WW or PPU brass and Hornady 123 SST's over CFE Black. Bob!! 8)

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
For Hittman, you can get excellent Fiocchi brass ammo. Very reliable, meets SAAMI standards, non corrosive and normally under $11/box of 20. It runs about 2475fps out of my Mini. Don

gunzo

Hunter
"The Mini 30 was introduced in 1987 to take advantage of the flood of surplus ammo hitting our shores at rock bottom prices." Wiki

SAAMI standardized the cartridge during the time Ruger was testing with surplus ammo from Finland. Ruger convinced SAAMI to raise the chamber pressure standard so they could run slightly mismatched bore & bullet dimensions. From 45 to 50,000 psi.

I wouldn't run a bunch milsurp ammo through a $900 Mini every week, unless I won the lottery. But the gun was designed around it & it would be nice to have the option. And from what I've read on the subject, the question isn't about why I'd run milsurp ammo through a Mini, it's why not?????????

Not likely to take the combo on a $15,000 Mescalero Elk hunt, are we? :wink:

hickoryhillbill

Single-Sixer
I really like mine and would not sell it unless I was offered an insane amount of money. Great little rifle.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
"The Mini 30 was introduced in 1987 to take advantage of the flood of surplus ammo hitting our shores at rock bottom prices." Wiki

SAAMI standardized the cartridge during the time Ruger was testing with surplus ammo from Finland. Ruger convinced SAAMI to raise the chamber pressure standard so they could run slightly mismatched bore & bullet dimensions. From 45 to 50,000 psi.

I've spoken to Ruger Customer Service on at least two occasions and they do not recommend lacquered steel case ammo saying that it can foul the gas system. They're also not too keen on Soviet/Russian, former communist block/Chinese ammo as most have hard primers.

I also think Ruger CS is a better source than Wikipedia. Don

gunzo

Hunter
"I also think Ruger customer service is a better source than Wikipedia"
Nothing out of bounds with the Wili quote as milsurp was all that was available at the time. OK then?

Ruger CS has a script to read for multiple excuses to address problems. They also say no reloads. Do they say no Lake City 5.56 in Mint 14's? How about Federal American Eagle?
No Nato spec ammo in 5.56 or 7.62???? Because they too have hard primers.

You're missing part of my point, the gun was designed around & to milsurp ammo. Now 30 years later they are just trying to cover their but buy recommending against it.

exavid

Hunter
So far I've shot about 300rds through my mini30. Tula, Wolf, Red Army and Fusion. All shot and performed well. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be but the iron sight allowed me to get groups of 12" at 100yds. Not great but probably a good bit of the spread is my fault. I'll stick a scope on it and get a rest and see what the rifle can do.

gunzo

Hunter
Really glad to hear that it's performing well for you. A really versatile rifle to have around.

Thanks for the follow up.

exavid

Hunter
More fun than my Mini14 because the 30 has a bigger bang and a bit of recoil. Feels more like a real rifle*.

* Real rifle, 30-06 or larger

mac66

Single-Sixer
I bought an original Mini 30 to hunt deer with. Never shot it much because of the lack of hi-cap mags (at the time) and it was intended for hunting. But I have run surplus/steel case ammo through it. Don't remember any problems with it.

Don't shoot it or hunt with it much anymore and have replaced the scope with Tech Sights. They make a big difference in accurate shooting with irons.