I don't understand stuff like this

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Here's a rare Ruger 1V in 300 Win Mag that you can get very cheap! Ok, at least the barrel . . . . . :roll:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795328396

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I can't imagine a 1V in 300 Win Mag being anything a criminal would use, but who knows. Maybe confiscated from a drug bust, but they usually melt those guns down and turn them into pacifist art or something . . .

wunbe

Buckeye
I agree, the odds are infinitesimal that it was done by court order. Such guns are either held as evidence indefinitely or destroyed completely.

Far more likely, someone found it to be too much gun -- weight and recoil ---for any practical purpose and rebarreled and perhaps restocked it for other uses, despite the consequences in terms of the steep value loss in the eyes of prospective collectabie #1 buyers.

The 300 WM is a common long range round in well made, heavier barrel, bolt guns, but the #1 platform is hardly the right one for this use. What were they thinking at Rugerr?

wunbe

There is no federal mandate on what to do with evidence. Even maybe not many in state law, that I do not know. I do know Oregon. 37 counties and each DA of that county can make rules about that. Example Multnomah County (PDX) says any firearm used in a crime will be destroyed after xx time. Others not so much. I was the guy who went through around 400 firearm cases in 2002. To get the clearance for them. These were state police cases throughout 5 counties. OSP evidence rules were written by the dept as I beleive most are. All firearms that were illegal as in short barrel/made to fire full auto etc were 1st allowed to go to the crime lab. 2nd destroyed if they did not want it. All others went back to the owners if stolen and I returned a bunch of them. If no owner could be found or the owner could not own a firearm, then they went to auction where a person with a FFL would bid on them. In a fish/wildlife criminal case it is normal that the DA thru OSP asks the judge to write a judgement to have the firearm sold at auction. If you know who those gun dealers are, you can get some nice deals.
So saying all get destroyed maybe true in your area it is not true everywhere.

wunbe said:
I agree, the odds are infinitesimal that it was done by court order. Such guns are either held as evidence indefinitely or destroyed completely.

Far more likely, someone found it to be too much gun -- weight and recoil ---for any practical purpose and rebarreled and perhaps restocked it for other uses, despite the consequences in terms of the steep value loss in the eyes of prospective collectabie #1 buyers.

wunbe

They cut the receiver in half.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Not uncommon at all to find parts like this on Gunbroker. Ebay too. For whatever reason the gun was ordered destroyed. Some agencies sell these scrap guns. Very typical for the receivers to be cut or revolver frames to be chopped. If you really spend some time looking you will come across lots of these guns on gunbroker and ebay. I have seen lots of ruger revolvers. Ever single part except the frame. Parts show a lot of use so it is not people selling nos parts. Why go through the trouble of parting out a pistol??Nobody would be dumb enough to part out more than one or two stolen guns. There some sellers that all they sell and have sold is parted out guns complete minus frame or receiver.

Yes this gun is unusual but the pictures clearly show the receiver was cut. Perhaps wildlife crime and ordered confiscation of the gun.

Here if a firearm is ordered to be destroyed by court it is, no parts are left. The melted remains is made into sheet steel. Since the receiver was cut, I would 100% say someone wanted it (the receiver) destroyed. Who and why we can all guess.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Here's another one that has me scratching my head. Either I'm missing something, or everyone has a lot different taste than me!
$329 for a Ruger No.1 buttstock with a coyote carved into it!?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-No-1-Walnut-Butt-Stock-Custom-carved-/264189833518?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I had one, but also had a 300WM barrel for my Encore. The Encore shot much better than the No.1.
Cold barrel (only the first cold shot from a single shot rifle matters) or hot, the Ruger never showed the accuracy of the Encore.

Only accurate rifles are interesting, I agree, so the no. 1 went down da road.

to answer the OP, this has been going on for as long as I can remember, back in the old days the military called it something "dewat",,, guns destroyed, NO NOT COMPLETELY< but the receivers handguns or rifles, shotguns, cut made through the guns receiver....flash forward and again as farback as I been in police, LE, security, etc., agencies, cities, whom ever have been cutting up, destroying, melting down, various firearms...AND in this same time some armorers, or others could remove and reuse, sell ,make use of "parts" from any of these guns, grips, magazines, barrels, cylinders, whatever and also as long as Ebay has been around , AND gunshows,,,,these "parts" will come up for sale over and over.....yes, I had been getting, buying, using "parts" from around the country , both local PD as well as government agencies,,,,last time we got a drum of parts from Aberdeen, ( as well as parts at Camp Perry,Oh) and a friend got TWO drums of magazines fitting about every 22 cal handgun the military ever had or used in their arsenal for training or use............ 8) :wink:
this stuff is out there, put it to use if need be,,,,they are always screaming for "tax dollars"... :?

here are some of the 'last' ones we had and di,,,make wonderful paperweights...( pen holders)

evDaEEZl.jpg

5xN5p6wl.jpg

sorry ,no pictures of the old WWI and WWII guns we had that were cutup and we made into table lamps....LONG before there was digital cameras or smart phones ...... 8)