Ruger No1B

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
A LGS has a 4 digit Ruger No1B in 30.06 putting its DOB in 1969. The rifle is in excellent shape, absolutely mint. Were it not for the red recoil pad I would have thought it brand new. Should I be paying a premium for a 3rd year No1B or just whatever a nearly 50 year old, excellent condition rifle is worth?

I previously owned a 2nd year No1B in 7mm Rem Mag and could not get it to shoot to save my life. Sold it, I don't recall for how much but certainly nothing exhorbitant.

wunbe

Buckeye
Why the aversion to red pads? The black pads are no more useful as actual recoil absorbers and the red pads harken back to classic British hunting rifles! And the early #1s usually had nicer wood, adjustable triggers, and far more expert fit and finish than you see today.

The date of origin and condition described puts it in the highly collectible, rare-ish, realm but I can't say what the current state of play would be. What were they asking for it? If you plan to hunt it, consider it could lose value with any new signs of wear and tear.

wunbe

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Any non-prefix Ruger single shot should demand a premium, if it's in good shape and all original. Unfortunately, some are not.

A BB 30-06 is not one of the rarer non-prefix guns, but not one of the "common" ones either.

G2

Hunter
It seems these brought a premium in the past, but now with the current models bringing 1300-1400,,, I felt good about 1250 for a 1968 4dgt. .222 in good condition.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
wunbe said:
Why the aversion to red pads? The black pads are no more useful as actual recoil absorbers and the red pads harken back to classic British hunting rifles! And the early #1s usually had nicer wood, adjustable triggers, and far more expert fit and finish than you see today.

The date of origin and condition described puts it in the highly collectible, rare-ish, realm but I can't say what the current state of play would be. What were they asking for it? If you plan to hunt it, consider it could lose value with any new signs of wear and tear.

wunbe

I don't have an aversion to the red recoil pad and referenced it only as a visual tell that distinguished it as an older model whose condition belies its age. The other points you mention are all true - fully adjustable trigger, nicer figured wood and not the "way over proud" fit to the receiver.

The shop owes me about $400.00 for a consignment recently sold on my behalf. We haven't settled on a price for the No1B. Blue Book puts it about $950.00 with no distinction made for early years, but of course real world trumps that I suppose. There's a "red pad" No1B in 6mm Remington on GB now @ $1K collecting no bids. I'm thinking maybe another $600.00 seals the deal?

The rifle will be used for range shooting only and probably no hunting. Back & forth in a gun case. My other No1s are 220 Swift, 375 H&H and 458. None of those are used for casual range shooting, would be nice to have something I have plenty of ammo for, or could use store bought if I didn't particularly feel like reloading for every time I go shooting.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
dfletcher said:
wunbe said:

wunbe

I don't have an aversion to the red recoil pad and referenced it only as a visual tell that distinguished it as an older model whose condition belies its age. The other points you mention are all true - fully adjustable trigger, nicer figured wood and not the "way over proud" fit to the receiver.

The shop owes me about $400.00 for a consignment recently sold on my behalf. We haven't settled on a price for the No1B. Blue Book puts it about $950.00 with no distinction made for early years, but of course real world trumps that I suppose. There's a "red pad" No1B in 6mm Remington on GB now @ $1K collecting no bids. I'm thinking maybe another $600.00 seals the deal?

The rifle will be used for range shooting only and probably no hunting. Back & forth in a gun case. My other No1s are 220 Swift, 375 H&H and 458. None of those are used for casual range shooting, would be nice to have something I have plenty of ammo for, or could use store bought if I didn't particularly feel like reloading for every time I go shooting.
If you can get a non-prefix No. 1 BB 30-06 in nice condition for $1000, then you've made one of the best buys you'll make this year!

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
I have a 1B in 30-06 that is from about the same time frame and I love that rifle and would not part with it. It is a shooter too and pushes 165 gr Nosler Accubonds or Partitions at 2940 fps!

Latest posts