Question about Reminton 660

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not a Ruger but an interesting rifle. I recently picked up a Reminton 660 in 308. I had a 600 seem like in the mid to late 70's. Not sure where it went or how. Anyway curious about the manufacture date and how to find out if it's included in the trigger ordeal. There are 3 digits prior to the receiver. They appear to be 9AS I believe that holds the secret as to the date. Can anyone help?

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Looks like MArch '69, which would make sense for that model. And it's well before any trigger recalls that I'm aware of; back when triggers were truly adjustable for nice letoffs.

Thank you sir. I'm already getting emotionally attached to this thing. It's the only 308 Win, I have and it had that ugly plastic trigger guard replaced with a nice metal one that is blued as well. Excellent blueing and nice stock. Someone added a recoil pad but it's till the original LOP. May update the pad. These short light rifles are said to have quite a recoil. Probably doesn't matter, can't compare to a 338 and shot a lot of those.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
You can tell if the trigger was reworked under recall. There is a V stamped on the trigger. Thats said You can get a aftermarket timney trigger. Might need to take a little wood out the stock. But it is a way better trigger.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
HS precision made a good synthetic stock for the 600/660....

IMG_2745_zps95d249fc.jpg

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
I have a Remington Model 600 in 6mm Remington that is a commerative model for the 100th anniversary of Territorial Statehood of Montana in 1964 and the 75th anniversary of Statehood. It is my son's now. It is an accurate rifle and I've taken an awful lot of coyotes, antelope, and deer with it.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
Thank you sir. I'm already getting emotionally attached to this thing. It's the only 308 Win, I have and it had that ugly plastic trigger guard replaced with a nice metal one that is blued as well. Excellent blueing and nice stock. Someone added a recoil pad but it's till the original LOP. May update the pad. These short light rifles are said to have quite a recoil. Probably doesn't matter, can't compare to a 338 and shot a lot of those.

My 600 is in 6mm Remington and it's a joy to shoot. Replacing the plastic "bottom metal" really improves the look and no worries about cracking it with a tightly torqued receiver screw. I'd like to pick up a 350 RemMag, those are said to have a bit of a pop to them.

I had a first month mfg chambered in .35 Remington. Blonde colored stock. Very rare and in unfired condition. Picked it up 4-5 years ago at the Ruger show in Boise.

Also had the one in .308. Handy package. Congrats!

hittman

Staff member
Remington's are "dated" by 2 digits stamped on the barrel .... generally near the receiver .... not by serial number.

http://www.remingtonowners.com/topic130.html

And the recall info .....

https://www.remington.com/support/safety-center/safety-modification-program/remington-model-600-660

Bear Paw Jack said:
Dave, that's one of the rarest 600's. You've got a nice rifle. Not sure why I didn't see it. Maybe next time we get together. Congratulations.

Marlin, I think I paid $1k for it. Kept it for a year and sold it for a significant profit. That may have been the last time WAYNO and I were there....

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I've had several of them, presently have two; a .308 and a 6.5 Rem Mag. Just sold a really nice one in .243. most I've had were very accurate. The 6.5 I have groups bullets from 95 to 160 grains within a 2.5" inch vertical variation at 100 yards. I haven't even shot the .308 yet; stock has beautiful grain but was kinda scratched up so I'm I process of redoing it.

rangerbob

Buckeye
My LE buddy, a fine rifle smith and LE armorer, had a young lady bring in a nice 600 in 35 Remington from an inheritance. Of course, she knew nothing about it. By buddy snapped it up and in short order had dies, brass, and bullets enroute. He arrived at my range to shoot it and loaded up with his finely crafted handloads. He bolted in a round an got a loud click when the trigger was pulled. Opening the bolt did not remove the round, but holding the rifle skyward, the round fell out. I called time out and fetched some of my 358 Winchester loads which fit the M600 perfectly. Obviously, the rifle had been rechambered long ago. When it was said and done, he had named the rifle his Mini-Mauler, as it mauled on both ends. My brother had a 600 in 350 in 1968 which mauled on both ends as well, when loaded with 4064 and 200 gr. Hornadys. If only we could go back to 1968 with a pocket full of money, which I did not have in 1968. Bob!! :mrgreen:

triaxle

Bearcat
I have a mint 660 in 308 with a Leupold 4 power on it bought it years back , also had the first older 600 in 308 and also a 600 in 350 mag with a Weaver 6 power scope . I bought it from my wife's uncle for a 140 bucks and also a half box of 350 ammo . I love the old Rem stuff , I left a mint in the old brown box 600 go by me for 750 at a show not long ago .

rangerbob

Buckeye
6guns, that is one properly equipped M660. Hopefully, you handload as 6.5RM ammo is hard to find. I generally use the Leupold DD rings and the one piece base on my M7's and short action M700's. Bob :mrgreen:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Yeah 6.5 RM ammo is scarce and pricey. I gathered about 200 rds of factory stuff when I got my other 6.5, a 700 BDL with 24" barrel. Was able to get most of it for around $20 a box. It's double that or more now when you can find it. I've also got a good supply of empties and reload for the caliber. Interesting thing about the 660 is that it will group handloads from 95 to 160 grains in a vertical string of about 3" at 100 yards. A very handy quality in a hunting rifle.

Latest posts