Swapping scopes with QD rings on a No. 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I use Warne QD rings on most of my No. 1s. Does anyone have experience with moving a scope from one rifle to another? Obviously I'd need to re-zero, but my guess is the fit would be close enough that it shouldn't be a problem.
John
NRA Patron
TSRA Life

Just to be clear, Are you talking about moving the scope from one to another of the same size-type receiver? So, you are not moving the rings in the scope? Are they different calibers?

Yes, I have done it. On match rifles a whole bunch. On ARs I have loaned out a leupold on Warne mount/rings. It also goes back and forth between my 2 carbines. A scope is a part, as far as I know they all are. Take off and put on as you wish, the turrets/knobs will turn, turn them and sight it in. I realize some mount up a scope, sight in and never do anything else.
How much you need to turn a knob to sight in, who knows go to a 25yd line and find out. Mark or record you other rifle sight in adjustment points on the scope. Likely will not be off when returned to those points it is a great scope.

wunbe

Buckeye
With a #1 or #3, the issue is removing the scope with Warne QD rings attached and levering in the QD rings onto another rifle with the 'same' rib mounting system w/o changing the ring positions . Theoretically possible as all the receivers are the same as are the ribs but.... who knows if the machining actually stayed uniform since intro by both Ruger and Warne? One issue in exact repeatabilty is the potential difference -- likely small -- in torque when you tighten down the rings the second time.

I have removed scopes in Ruger rings and reassembled them on the same rifle and also carried already mounted in rings spare scopes as backups on trips and, with a quick rezero, they worked fine, But in swapping scopes I have always removed them from the rings on the rifles.

wunbe

Hi here is what I do I keep the front ring tight on the scope and loosen the screws on the rear ring mount on the new gun lock the rear ring to the receiver then tighten the screws on the rear ring that allows the rear ring to reposition if there is any difference in receivers

Gramps

THANKS Gramps. Your procedure suits my situation very well. It's not hard to tighten the front QD ring, loosen the rear ring screws, tighten the QD a wee bit, and then the ring screws. I did learn that if you tighten the rear lever after you loosened the bottom screws then it's very tough to loosen the QD after the screws are torqued back to 25"lbs. But I've done it and am confident it will work well.