Ruger Hawkeye African 6.5X55

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I purchased at a local shop two weeks ago. Tested it without a scope last weekend and it was a lot of fun. The trigger is really very good for factory. LC6 8)

Got it on paper with the scope on my next trip out. Started off with factory Nolser 140 grain AB.

I started loading for it in the last few days and went out today to see how my reloads compare to factory.

This target is at 100 yards with factory Nosler 140 grain AB.

This target is at 100 with my reloads using IMR 4350, Nolser 140 Grain AB.

The bluing and wood is very nice. I am a happy customer. Going to keep loading and trying other bullets in the 140 grain range.

Bill

RJ556

Buckeye
Some folks do not like that the Swede requires a long action. I like the fact that it is built on a long action. A little mentioned fact about the long action vs short action is that, on many bolt rifles, especially CRF guns, a long action has a slightly smoother bolt cycle and is less likely to jam, due to the bearing points of the bolt/receiver being farther apart. Anyway, I just love the Swede-mor. I own a 9.3x62 African, but not a Swede but I think that Swede African is a truly great hunting rifle and could easily be the new "Riflemans Rifle". RJ

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I've been drooling over pictures of these since they came out. If I ever saw one in person it would most likely go home with me.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I got to handle a rare Oberndorf Mauser Type A in 6.5x58 Portuguese last May at the Colorado collectors show. The Ruger African in 6.5x55 seems to be very much a modern version of that Rifle. My local hardware store will be getting in a couple of the 9.3x62's in a few months. I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles and shoots compared to my 1939 Type A in 9.3x62. There are Mauser snobs out there who turn their nose up at Rugers, but I don't happen to be one of them. Ruger makes a great, reliable, CRF bolt gun. I wish they would make the 9.3x62 and 7x57 (275 Rigby) Africans a regular item. Those skinny barrels and barrel band sling eyes don't lend themselves to the best accuracy, but they are minute of deer and up at reasonable hunting ranges. I like 'em!

TCGuy

Single-Sixer
That looks like the old Black Canyon range in north Phoenix, which is now called Ben Avery. I haven't been there in decades!

smith1961

Blackhawk
Awesome!
I've been caressing mine since I got it last week! IMHO the African looks better w/o a scope, but you're on a mission, so have fun. I'll be trying out my MK II in 6.5x55 with a new Nikon next few weeks now that I see what you've done.
BTW-Who needs a Creedmoor anyway!?!?
:mrgreen:

JFB

Hunter
I ordered mine purely on the expected aesthetic of an "African". To me, this rifle should be called a "Highland Stalker" style. Even the Oberndorf Mauser Type A mentioned above has express sights one would expect on an "African"

I agree a dangerous game scope on this slim, long barrel looks out of place. My plans are to eventually get a scope similar to the OP setup and useful for sporting game at a distance.

8CIRVHv.jpg

sailorb

Single-Sixer
The 6.5x55 is one of the most overlooked cartridges in America. It will do just about anything on any game animal except the biggest bears. It's only a tick behind the Creedmore, not enough to make any practical difference. I have a Tina T3 plus 3 vintage military guns. All will shoot the eye out of a gnat and the Tika is even better. 140 go Nosler Partition over 46 gr. Of H4830SC is a one hole wonder at 100 yds..I wanted a Ruger but none were available when the Tika showed up at our local Gander Mountain.

smith1961

Blackhawk
sailorb said:
The 6.5x55 is one of the most overlooked cartridges in America. It will do just about anything on any game animal except the biggest bears. It's only a tick behind the Creedmore, not enough to make any practical difference.

Respectfully; No way is the Swede behind the Creedmoor by ANY measure. In any of a host of current production rifles by Ruger, Tikka, Sauer, Howa, Sako, Mauser, Barrett, Cooper, Montana Rifle, CZ, and others, it's false marketing hype. Long vs. Short action really is just an argument. The case of the 6.5x55 can, and does, drive the SAME bullets to the same velocities with the same twist rates as 6.5 Creedmoor. Peace out.....................

rangerbob

Buckeye
My 6.5x55 is a claw extractor M70 Featherweight with factory iron sights I had installed. Of course, it's on the long action, holds 6 rounds full up and shoots better that I can shoot it. My 260 is an A-bolt micro hunter and I have a M77 Hawkeye and an A-bolt II in 6.5CM. They all shoot the same bullets at nearly identical speeds when handloaded with the appropriate load. One thing that makes the CM attractive to buyers is the multitude of factory ammo out there. Even the 260 has about doubled the amount of factory loads over the last few years. Bob!! 8)

I visited a local Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse while making my rounds. I always like to take a "look see" on what type of 6.5X55 ammunition in on the shelf.

Cabelas had nothing in 6.5X55. They did have at least 8 different 6.5CM manufactures or offerings. I have seen 6.5X55 in the past but not this time.

At Sportsman's, I found Nosler Trophy Grade, Winchester Super X and Federal Fusion. All things considered, I think that there are a lot more selections of factory ammunition for the CM.

But, I am reloading for this rifle and I have had no problem locating components. I just really like this rifle and the 6.5X55 round is an amazing performer.

I hope to visit the range this weekend to continue to test my loads and enjoy the rifle.

Bill

smith1961

Blackhawk
Buckeye Bill said:
I visited a local Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse while making my rounds. I always like to take a "look see" on what type of 6.5X55 ammunition in on the shelf.

Cabelas had nothing in 6.5X55. They did have at least 8 different 6.5CM manufactures or offerings. I have seen 6.5X55 in the past but not this time.

I'm sure I moaned somewhere about this earlier. Since Cabelas merged with Bass Pro, and the 6.5 CM appeared as a gift from an advanced alien civilization, there is NO OTHER 6.5mm to be found on the shelves at my local store. I used to buy a box of 6.5x55 and/or some 6.5 Grendel about every trip there. Now there is only 6.5 CM. This cartridge should have won some Gold Medal in marketing! Yikes! I'm glad Jack O'Connor is not around to see something push aside his heavenly .270 Win!!!!
:p