Ruger American Go Wild in 6.5 Creedmor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
You certainly could not go wrong with an American rifle in 6.5CM as a lower 48 hunting rifle. The go wild camo treatment is a personal like or dislike. I'm a blued steel/walnut kind of rifle looney, myself. I would prefer the green stock on the predator model, myself. My Ruger 6.5CM is a M77 Hawkeye, walnut/ blue/ 24' barrel. Bob!! :mrgreen:

I have seen a few of these on the net and I am on the fence. I think I would be happy with a SS model with green stock. But, if I could actually see one in real life and that camo looked good, I might purchase one. All I see is "Out of Stock". Some consumers must be buying them.

Bill

Hylander

Single-Sixer
I have the standard Predator and love it.
Shoots Awesome.
I love the looks of the Wild.

46749807902_9afa8fbcee_z.jpg

Hylander

Single-Sixer
huntsman22 said:
I wouldn't bother with any model that don't take the AICS.....

Why is that?
New Wild does have the AI style.
Mine does not have an AI style.
The AICS is not going to make the rife more accurate or reliable.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
Why? The factory mags suck......

And the comment about reliability don't hold water, if your rotary mags don't feed (and most fall short in that department). Feeding IS reliability.

gunzo

Buckeye
huntsman22 said:

And the comment about reliability don't hold water, if your rotary mags don't feed (and most fall short in that department). Feeding IS reliability.

Not all factory mags fail, but they are the number one complaint against the American.

I agree that the AI style is the only way to go if available. They aid in a very smooth & reliable feed. Serious competitors don't use them to look cool. A nice container to carry extra ammo too.

My son just bought the "Go Wild" American in 450 Bushmaster. It is a very nice looking and handling rifle. The initial accuracy with Hornady ammo shows that it is going to be a very good shooter.

grobin

Blackhawk
For some reason the reviewers seem to have all gotten the Go Wild camo, maybe why it's out. Gallery of Guns and Gearfire show them as available. I really like the 6.5 CM and wold use it on any NA game animal, although it will take careful shot placement on moose or griz. Very pleasant shooting and very good at long ranges.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
huntsman22 said:

Well, so far my mag feeds perfect and my rifle is 100% reliable, so my comment does hold water.
Also I have sold dozens of these rifles and not one has came back with a mag complaint,
actually none have came back with any complaint.
Maybe some do have an issue, however not here so far.
Also on the .223 Predator with the AR mags the bolt is a loser fit in the receiver.
The feeding is not smoother, it is rougher. On an empty mag you have to remove it to close the bolt.
Anyway your mileage may vary, but this has been my experience.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
Yeah. My mileage varied.... Your 'experience' with 'one mag' is freaking awesome, as is selling 'dozens'. But I had more than "my mag". Had 7 mags, of those 7 only one worked correctly. Ruger replaced the baddies. And only 2 of the replacements were good. So I sold the cheezy plastic stock and mags and went chassis/AICS. But then, I actually shoot...... And if I have a complaint with a rifle, the dealer I bought it from, never hears of it. So not surprised you never got a complaint. Most guys either fix a prob themselves, or have it fixed by the factory or 'smith, rather than crying to their local shop.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Huntman22:
You seem to taking offence to my post's, not trying to offend, I am just relaying my experience with these rifles.
Actually my experience is with about a 10 rifles, and yes I also hunt with me rifles.
Sorry your experience has not been as good.
And at my work, people come in complaining about the smallest issue, even an oil spot, thinking it is a blemish.
I would not blame the dealer for a rifle issue, unless they won't make it right.
Replacing the light stock with a chassis kinda defeats the purpose of buying a light hunting rifle.
Again, I am not arguing, just passing on my experience. And I know there can be bad ones out there.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
To each his own, I wouldn't own a bolt action rifle with an AR mag, only a flush fit. It juts down and gets in the way. Even on my AR-10, I use the shortest mag possible.

3000fps

Bearcat
Picked one up this fall (American, go wild camo, 6.5 Creedmore, etc) and really like it except for the magazine, it's a pain to get it to seat properly. Took it to Alabama a couple of weeks ago for the last days of deer season and had time to fiddle with it and see if it was operator error or what. It's just plain difficult to get it properly seated. It'll "click" like its in but its not really and falls out. It'll seat but with takes effort. I can imagine putting the magazine in at oh-dark-thirty on a hunt and having it fall out
What's the fix? Do I need to send to back to the factory? Will an after market magazine work better? Do all Ruger with an AI plastic magazine work like this?
Thanks

Huntsman22,
Were your mags for the 223? I read of troubles early on with the 223 mags, but it appears Ruger has corrected this. Also, love seeing the pictures you post. Keep em coming.

I have 5 Americans, 3 of which are centerfire, 223, 243, and 308. There has been zero issues with any of them. I have taken my 223 prairie doggin twice now, and have fired many rounds thru it. I have 3 mags for it, and they all work fine.

I also prefer a flush fitting magazine for my purposes, and don't require more capacity. It is nice that Ruger offers both so we have a choice. The accuracy of the American rifles is what blows me away.