Tang Safety .350 Rem Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I've been considering getting a M77 tang safety in .350 Remington Magnum, for no good reason whatsoever (always the best reason). Anybody have one? Thoughts?

What is the barrel profile like on these?

Recoil tables I've seen put it somewhere around a .300 WSM. I'm OK at those levels but never really liked shooting a .338 Win Mag. So the .350 should be a fun one.

SR

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I had a pair of MkII's. Blued and SS. Barrel profiles are the standard taper. I put my stainless into a laminate stock that was originally a 243. The only difference is the width of the mag well.

I dont know about any recoil tables nor do I have a 300 WSM , but do know the 250 grain 35's loaded stout will get your attention and possibly make your eyes water a bit! I had 338's also and there wasn't much difference in my opinion to
matter recoil wise. I think they are great rifles and the only reason i dont have mine anymore is I sold off everything I had over 7mm. If you do get one and need a set of rcbs dies , I have a set still lying around.

I didn't hunt anything bigger than whitetails while I had the 350's and yeah , they are a little overkill but I never had to track one after pulling the trigger. I mostly ran 180 and 200 grain Hornady bullets. They are also fun with pistol bullets for lighter loads.

rangerbob

Buckeye
One thing to consider is ammunition for the 350 does not grow on trees. Remington has all but abandoned loaded ammo and brass. Brass is available from Nosler, but very pricy. Bob!! 8)

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I've considered the availability of brass and ammunition. I guess the good thing is the .350 isn't something I'm going to shoot a hundred rounds at a time.

SR

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
With the price of ammo when you can find any , I think the 350 is a reloading caliber anymore. When I sold off the rifles I also had a case (10 boxes) of factory Rem ammo I sold on GB that brought over $800. That was not all that long ago. If you sock away a couple hundred rounds of brass you're gonna have a hard time using it up.

I was interested in the caliber at one point. I test fired a Remington 660? with factory rounds and 1 shot was all I took. I was shooting a .338 win mag m70 and a 358 win in a Browning BLR for Elk at the time. The m70 and BLR was fun to shoot, the 660 not at all. It had to be 1 of the most hardest recoiling rifles I have shot. Granted the Ruger is a heavier gun and should have less recoil.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Ruger has a better stock design and handles recoil better. I cant say the synthetic all weather was a joy to shoot though because like you said , weight matters. Thats why i put it in a laminate stock. Completely different animal after that!

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Well, I ordered one yesterday - and a flat bolt at that. I should have it in about a week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

SR

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
You're gonna like it! The 350 also has a couple grains more capacity than the whelen. It doesn't mean a whole lot but you can get just a tad extra if thats your thing.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
My 350 rem mag not shot it but a couple of times. It had a black synthetic stock but I switched it out for this walut one. 77/44 on the right 350 is on the left.

gunzo

Buckeye
south_ridge said:
Well, I ordered one yesterday - and a flat bolt at that. I should have it in about a week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

SR

Wow & congrats!, a hard to find chambering. Looking forward to your report. Hoping for pics also.

Also curious as to the barrel contour, one configuration I'm not at all familiar with.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
The rifle arrived at my FFL yesterday and I picked it up today. I put an old Weaver K4 scope on it since the scope was already in Ruger Rings.

I only shot it 7 times - just enough to get it zeroed at 50 yards (original point of impact was off about 9"). But I think it's going to shoot pretty well. I'll do some 100-yard shooting when I have more time.

SR

rangerbob

Buckeye
I have 2 Remington rifles in 350 RM. One is a M7 CDL that I put in a M673 stock. Nothing says 350 like a factory laminated stock. It has the factory installed iron sights. I put the 6.5 RM M673 barreled action(after I removed the rib and plugged the holes) into the M7 CDL stock. I thought that I would never be able to sell that rifle, but a gentleman bought it and all of the brass and loaded ammo I had. My other rifle and favorite is a M700 Classic with factory iron sights with weaver bases, no scope at present. IMHO, the Classic is the best of the bunch with its 22" barrel and recoil absorbing stock. I bought a M77 when last they were cataloged with a 24 " barrel. When it arrived with a 22" barrel, I was disappointed. Ruger's response was it must have been a misprint, too bad, so sad. It didn't stay long. I'm looking hard at having to make brass from 7mm RM by running them through a 350 trim die and then turning the necks. Just about any belted mag will do, but 7's are the most abundant. I don't see Remington ever releasing brass again. I have a MRC M70 style rifle we built in 358 WSM, the 325 necked up to 35. it is stout! I thought about rechambering to that, but the barrels would have to set back one turn. I guess reforming brass is easier. Bob!! 8)

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Congrats on the new rifle!

If I were you , I'd stock up on a modest supply of Nosler brass while it's still available. I wouldn't bother with Remington brass with the prices some people are asking for it.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I had a pair of Remington classic 700's in 350. Great guns and loved the caliber. I am on the lookout for a very nice 77 in 350. Has to be a tang safety, I don't like the newer ones.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I have an M77RS I bought in 1972. It was my first Ruger and has always been my favorite. It has killed game on more than one continent. It wears a 4x Weaver that I put on it about 1978 and the zero has not moved since. I glass bedded it about the same time because the stock was splitting down the middle. It's beat up, but every year before elk season I shoot three rounds of factory 250gr'ers to ensure the zero and it's ready to go. Yes, it has recoil. I've hand loaded for it over the years and I can safely do 2500 with 250s and 2800 with 200s, but factory 250s at 2400 work well. The only thing I've had to shoot twice was Water Buffalo. When Remington discontinued the 250s I bought 20 boxes. And I have another 100 factory 250 bullets and 200 rounds of brass as backup. I still have about 12 boxes of the factory 250s left. I don't suppose I'll run out in my lifetime.

rangerbob

Buckeye
After I posted about making 350's out of 7mm's, I discovered that I had 10 fifty round boxes of ammo loaded and ready to shoot. So I too probably have a lifetime supply! Bob!! :lol:

Latest posts