Ruger 77 RS ‘Flat Bolt’ 284 Win?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
This Ruger is on consignment at a local shop, iron sights, scope rings. I didn't write down the serial number, seems to be in good shape.

My feelings on some of the later Ruger rifles were tainted over the years, mostly through other's experience, not my own. I did read the other 'flat bolt' thread.

Did these early 77s have adjustable triggers, unlike the later 77's? How about the barrels? Would this be a Wilson or another barrel?

The gun has been there a while at $1300. During this quiet time in January I was thinking about tending an offer, near $1k.

I already own a Micro-Medallion in 284, have all the brass & reloading supplies I would ever need.

I realize this is a Ruger forum, just gathering thoughts on this gun I don't really need. Thanks.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
The flat bolt rifles have adjustable triggers.

Early M77s utilized Douglas barrels and generally have the ability to be accurate guns. I believe the transition to Wilson barrels occurred in the 72-73 time frame, but others may be along with more experience/knowledge to correct or confirm this.

From what I have seen, $1k or so is not out of line for a .284 flat bolt in very good shape. The more common calibers go for less, but there's always somebody willing to pay more for a .284 (or .350RM, or 6.5RM) because he's trying to put together a set.

I'm a big fan of M77 flatbolts. I don't think you will be disappointed in the rifle if you are a .284 fan.

SR

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the input. I'll wait until my next block of days off and maybe pay a visit.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Hey guys, I ended up buying this gun. He came down some, still paid more than I wanted.

The serial number is 70-1534x , any info on year or whatever else? The bluing & metal look great. There are a few scruff marks in the stock, nothing crazy. The screws all look very nice, no buggered up heads.

The trigger is just a tad more than I like. Is this one easily adjustable, unlike the later ones that seemed to require 'honing'? They had a bag with 40+ rounds of factory ammo and more yet cases with it.

I even gave the contact info to a fellow forum member, but they still had it when I called a week ago. Not sure I'll shoot it soon, came with scope rings mounted, and the iron sights. When I get ready I hope it shoots O.K., seems like the later Mod 77 has a hit or miss reputation at times.

OK, I see 1970 with that S.N..

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Just put it all back together, somewhat 'deep cleaning'. The metal is as good looking as new, no nicks or wear indications.

I got the trigger adjusted better, easy with the smallish Allen head. Everything online shows a Douglas barrel in 1970, rifling all looks great. There are 43 Win factory loads & 72 or so empty cases in the deal.

My other 284 is a Browning 'Micro-Medallion'. This one may give it some competition for rifle opening day, maybe Elk again. Again, hopefully it shoots O.K..

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
ruger66 said:
I think you will enjoy it. I have a 77 Flatbolt RS and a RSI both in 284 and love them.

66, may I ask the year of the 77? How has it been shooting? Accuracy? I may not get around to shooting right away.

Mine is a 71 or 2. I am not much of a target shooter as long as its around an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo I am happy and they will do that easy enough.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
sourdough44 said:
Just put it all back together, somewhat 'deep cleaning'. The metal is as good looking as new, no nicks or wear indications.

I got the trigger adjusted better, easy with the smallish Allen head. Everything online shows a Douglas barrel in 1970, rifling all looks great. There are 43 Win factory loads & 72 or so empty cases in the deal.

My other 284 is a Browning 'Micro-Medallion'. This one may give it some competition for rifle opening day, maybe Elk again. Again, hopefully it shoots O.K..

I am reading in the "REFERENCE OF RUGER FIREARMS, VOLUME TWO" pg. 66, 2nd paragraph.

Note: Ruger is believed to have used Douglas barrels until 1973 when the switch was made to Wilson.