Ruger Mini 14 large capacity mag's.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deerslayerdfr

Bearcat
Hey all...I am currently looking at buying a Ruger mini 14... The only downside is I have to purchase 1 in Cali....I assume the rifle will only come with (1) 10 rd. mag....at the most, maybe with a capacity smaller too...Are all mini 14's compatible for all size mag's??? Or, is there a Cali version made and just sold here??? I will be moving out of Cali in about 10 years and would like to know that when the gun goes with me that I can purchase larger capacity mag's for it....I guess I just want to know that if I buy 1 here, can I buy larger capacity mag's for it in the future out of state????

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
It will more than likely come with the standard 5 round magazine.
As far as I know all Mini 14's will use the same magazines wether 5 round , 20 round or 30 round.

The magazines will all fit, I use 20 round magazines in mine because I didn't care for the way the 30 rounder made the gun feel in my hands. Opinions may vary but I only recommend Ruger magazines for your Mini.

rangerbob

Buckeye
That's assuming we can still possess magazines and rifles in 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob! :(

dfletcher

Blackhawk
deerslayerdfr said:
Hey all...I am currently looking at buying a Ruger mini 14... The only downside is I have to purchase 1 in Cali....I assume the rifle will only come with (1) 10 rd. mag....at the most, maybe with a capacity smaller too...Are all mini 14's compatible for all size mag's??? Or, is there a Cali version made and just sold here??? I will be moving out of Cali in about 10 years and would like to know that when the gun goes with me that I can purchase larger capacity mag's for it....I guess I just want to know that if I buy 1 here, can I buy larger capacity mag's for it in the future out of state????

The mags will work regardless of capacity. I find the 10 or 5 rounders a bit of a pain to "rock in" front to back. In CA you may want to look up what are called "10/20" magazines - 20 round body supposedly permanently limited to 10 rounds. Easier to handle and my experience is "permanent" can be undone when out of state.

I'm in CA but have had my Mini for a while and +10 round magazines of all brands. I suspect that during Ruger's self-imposed restriction on magazine capacity they may have produced them for sale by other vendors. Quite a few of the "no name" +10 round magazines I have look and feel, are constructed the same as factory.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Ruger never made 10 rounders. Any 10 rounders you are likely to come across are all aftermarket mags.

gatling

Blackhawk
COSteve said:
daveg.inkc said:
mac66 said:
Ruger never made 10 rounders. Any 10 rounders you are likely to come across are all aftermarket mags.

Most of what I read on these gun forums is unsubstantiated information so I discount it. If it's something I'm interested in, I do a quick 'google' of the purported 'truth' to attempt to establish any validity to the statement. More times than not, the information is not correct just like the statement above.

I think that goes well beyond just the gun forums. Read some of the motorcycle forums. There are many, many keyboard commandos out there.

mac66

Single-Sixer
COSteve said:
mac66 said:
Oh really!

You aught to consider telling Ruger about that because they think they do. http://shopruger.com/Mini-14-10-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90339/

My bad, glad you proved me wrong.

At the time I had my Mini 14 only 5 and 20 round (then eventually 30 rounders) were available. Not purposely trying to spread bad info, simply out of touch with the latest Mini 14 stuff.