AR-556 Delta Ring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Has anyone converted their AR-556 screw on delta ring to a regular delta ring assembly? If so, can you give details and which assembly you chose? Also, pics would be nice as well.

9x19

Hunter
I haven't done it, but I am curious why you want to?

Is there something significant to be gained?

I ask because it is not a simple task. You'll need a good armorer's wrench and torque wrench to remove/reinstall the barrel nut, and an upper receiver vise block to hold the receiver while torquing. Of course that's after using a good hammer/punch set to remove the front sight base and gas tube.

None of that is difficult, but to me it does seem like a lot to go through for very little gain, which is why I asked.

Good luck.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
9x19 said:
I haven't done it, but I am curious why you want to?

Is there something significant to be gained?

I ask because it is not a simple task. You'll need a good armorer's wrench and torque wrench to remove/reinstall the barrel nut, and an upper receiver vise block to hold the receiver while torquing. Of course that's after using a good hammer/punch set to remove the front sight base and gas tube.

None of that is difficult, but to me it does seem like a lot to go through for very little gain, which is why I asked.

Good luck.
I have all of the tools you mentioned. I have built 3 AR-15's and bought the AR-556 because I like it.
I was doing some research on the MPR and came across articles and videos of people trying to remove the AR-556 delta ring nut. They were having to cut it off because they couldn't get it to budge. That's why I asked my original Q? about removing it. I wanted to know why people were having such a hard time removing it. Torque specs. on a delta ring barrel nut is 30-80 ft. lbs. It sounds like Ruger has exceeded 80 ft. lbs.

Latest posts