#1 in 25-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CW4USARET

Bearcat
Just purchased my first #1 in 25-06 with a 3x9 Nikon scope at an estate sale. Any quirks that I need to know about? I did replace the scope with a 4x12 Leupold.

Single-Sixer
One of the quirks you will probably find out is it won't sit by itself very long. These darned things tend to accumulate!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Mine is a stainless 1B. The only thing I've done to mine is set the extractor spring under the forearm so it only has enough force to eject the case out of the chamber and not out on to the ground. I think that helps a little bit by taking some pressure off the forearm and maybe gives another shot before vertical stringing kicks in. Might be all in my head but I'm going with it!

If I take slow shots allowing the barrel to remain cool , I can get 5 shot groups into nickel , and on a couple of range outings , dime sized groups. It wears a Weaver 4.5-14 Grand Slam scope. Mine does not like anything above 100 grain bullets and prefers the 90 grain Sierra bthp. I shoot Nosler 100 grain partitions and ballistic tips aslo and they are right on the heels of the Sierra 90. I have a 77MkII 25-06 that is the same way with over 100 grain bullets. The 115's , 120's etc aren't bad by any means but dont group under 1 - 1 1/2" most days.

CW4USARET

Bearcat
I have loaded up some Hornady 117gr SST's and if the temperature here in upstate NY gets above 40 I'll take to the range. Until then I think I'll load up some lighter bullets as suggested. I had a M77V that right out of the box shot .75 - .90 with anything that I stuffed down the barrel (100,115, 117 & 120). My son has that gun now and reminds me regularly of what a great shot he is with it (lol).

Latest posts