Question on value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hairtrigger

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at a No.1 action and wood with a 4 digit sn
Do you add any value to the age or is the same as a new action?

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
No barrel?

There isn't any really difference in the non-prefix actions and the the later 130-prefix actions (same finish, triggers, etc.)
The added value really comes into play with a complete gun. It would be very hard to impossible to find the correct caliber non-prefix (or early 130-prefix) Douglas barrel only to make it whole and correct again.
The non-prefix wood does have value in and of itself, depending on condition, figure, any alterations, and what configuration it is.

Hairtrigger

Single-Sixer
The rifle does have a barrel but has been is now ackley improved
My thought was to send to Ruger for a new barrel

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
That's a possibility, as far as I know. Ruger has cut way back, or eliminated a lot of their parts inventory. The best you'll get is a current barrel, but only if the rifle was in a caliber that they are still chambering the No. 1 for.
If it has the original barrel, I'd probably live with it the way it is. You can still shoot factory ammunition in an Ackley chamber; at least, that used to be the conventional wisdom.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
That 4-digit No. 1 will have a Douglas Premium barrel on. Every early No. 1 I've had shot really well. I wouldn't even consider re-barreling one until I shot it and proved it to be inaccurate. I'd be greatly surprised if it doesn't shoot at least MOA.