50th Anniversary Hawkeye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
And an MSRP of $1799.00? Sorry , but there isn't a Ruger bolt gun other than some express rifles worth that. Even coming down to real world prices from the MSRP makes it over priced. They could at least put circassian walnut on it so you didn't feel AS BAD about getting bent over.

rugerjunkie said:
And an MSRP of $1799.00? Sorry , but there isn't a Ruger bolt gun other than some express rifles worth that. Even coming down to real world prices from the MSRP makes it over priced. They could at least put circassian walnut on it so you didn't feel AS BAD about getting bent over.

I have to agree, the MSRP seems pretty high considering the gun is the basic Hawkeye rifle WITHOUT iron sights, and only includes an engraved floor plate and bolt handle. (The bolt handle is blued which I have always preferred but I still cannot justify the cost to purchase.) I would expect this to be a very limited release; otherwise, they will be available for long after the 50th year has ended!

I think this is going to follow the 50th anniversary No. 1 which is not selling well. (Just a guess based on the price and how many are still available for sale.)

Ruger seems to be at a point where they think they can just slap a 50th anniversary moniker on any model (or 10th Anniversary :roll: ) and sell them like hot cakes. Ruger needs someone with a better sense of history and esthetics designing these models...

This gun should have a price point of no more than $1000.00 at retail IMHO...at $1799.00 MSRP, the retail will be close to $1400.00...too high for this offering.

grobin

Blackhawk
Looks like 243 only. At the price they should have nice walnut stocks and custom caliber availability in pretty much any caliber.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
The advertising says it does have a nice American walnut stock. But still, it is the same gun as the Hawkeye standard with some engraving and a blued bolt handle.

rangerbob

Buckeye
The 50th Anniversary M77 is almost the same as the 6.5 CM Hawkeye I received from that batch of Hawkeyes that Davidson's released last month. Mine has an engraved floorplate with the NRA seal and the blued engraved bolt handle with the letters NRA and gold scroll. The kicker is that mine cost $600 with its 24" barrel and engraving. I would think a 50th Anniversary model should be in a caliber not offered before, not something as mundane as the 243. That's not as simple as it sounds, as the M77 has been made in a bunch of calibers. About the only 2 traditional, non Weatherby calibers that come to mind are the 300 Savage and the 8mm Mauser. I would want either with 24" barrels and sights. Then one might have something special. Just my thoughts. Bob!! :mrgreen:

rangerbob said:
The 50th Anniversary M77 is almost the same as the 6.5 CM Hawkeye I received from that batch of Hawkeyes that Davidson's released last month. Mine has an engraved floorplate with the NRA seal and the blued engraved bolt handle with the letters NRA and gold scroll. The kicker is that mine cost $600 with its 24" barrel and engraving. I would think a 50th Anniversary model should be in a caliber not offered before, not something as mundane as the 243. That's not as simple as it sounds, as the M77 has been made in a bunch of calibers. About the only 2 traditional, non Weatherby calibers that come to mind are the 300 Savage and the 8mm Mauser. I would want either with 24" barrels and sights. Then one might have something special. Just my thoughts. Bob!! :mrgreen:

I think the idea was to release the 50th Anniversary model in a caliber that the ORIGINAL 1968 model was released in (my guess) and to have it in the same configuration, i.e. "R" version....I can accept that caliber and even the configuration, the price doesn't in any way justify the specs....

Ruger is pricing itself OUT of the market in my opinion with so many of their guns...the price of many of their current offerings is not justifiable compared to the initial quality and comparable competitor pricing, especially with rebates and deals that are currently out there....

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
.243 is absolutely the caliber it should be made in since it is an Anniverary edition. I would be tempted except for the price. I'll bet we see these in the Ruger auction section in a decade...just like the .44 carbines.