Shooting Your AR-556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Do you still like shooting your AR-556?
This past weekend, my son and I took ours out to stretch their legs. :wink:
We shot close to over 500 rounds of good ole WOLF SCA. There's nothing better for relieving stress. (Well, there is one thing better...... :shock: )

kmckinnon

Bearcat
Ruger Nut said:
Do you still like shooting your AR-556?
This past weekend, my son and I took ours out to stretch their legs. :wink:
We shot close to over 500 rounds of good ole WOLF SCA. There's nothing better for relieving stress. (Well, there is one thing better...... :shock: )

Shot my Ruger MPR yesterday. I put 120 rounds of Fed American Eagle 556 on sight-in targets at 50 yards in an effort to zero a Vortex Crossfire Red Dot sight. I got it in the ballpark landing most shots in the 4 inch circle around the bullseye. However the gusty crosswind conditions made it tough to get tight groups. It'll take another try in calmer conditions to get'r done.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
shot mine a few days ago. it shoots better than my Ruger American bolt gun. Strange indeed.......

kmckinnon

Bearcat
Had the MPR out yesterday. I was getting 1.5-2 inch groups at 50 yards using an inexpensive Sightmark reflex sight. My old eyes were struggling to see a nice crisp dot in my Vortex Crossfire red dot (astigmatism is pretty common). So I sold it and am looking at getting something with an etched reticle (PRISM or LPVO). Meanwhile I had the Sightmark on a S&W M&P 15-22 we use for training and shooting a lot inexpensively. So I moved the Sightmark off the 15-22 onto my MPR until I find something else. I was pleased with the results.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Since we're on the topic.......

My wife picked up one of the gun magazines (the ones you read) that was lying around.

She spotted the Ruger 556 advertisement and now she wants one.

I have no experience with an AR type rifle, closest I have is an M1A Scout in an E2 stock.

If you had to make a choice between the Ruger 556, no alterations, or a Ruger mini 14 in a pistol grip, adjustable stock.

Which would you choose and why?

Which would be easier for the wife to use?

She grew up on a farm and is familiar with guns, has a license to carry, fired the M1A a few times but it's a bit too much for her liking.

9x19

Hunter
Out of the box, I've found most ARs to have better accuracy than any of the Minis I've owned.

The AR pattern rifle is a tinkerer's dream. It is very easy to work on, with a wide array of after market parts to make it uniquely yours, or hers.

Good luck.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Still love mine I bought in the fall of 2014. It is fun to take out and shoot every now and again.

grobin

Blackhawk
Bearcat as your wife was impressed by the AR type that's what you should look at unless she spontaneously likes the Mini.

The advantages of the AR type versus the Mini are:
Initially a bit cheaper.
It's a kit rifle hundreds of accessories available.
Lots of different calibers available (my favorite is 300BLK).
Cheap ammo!

Disadvantages:
Runs through a lot of ammo!
It's a kit rifle with hundreds of accessories! This means it's like a yacht-always new things to buy for $ to $$$!