M77 MKII Stainless Skeleton 7mm/08 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunnut75

Bearcat
I just picked up this gun today. Serial number is 788-00887. Its stainless and in my caliber as a 7mm/08. I sold one in blue about 8 months ago that was a Davidsons run. This is the ONLY stainless 7mm/08 I have run across. I've read some previous posts that say these weren't cataloged. How common are they actually? Thanks.

gunnut75

Bearcat
Talked to Ruger today. Gun was manufactured Sep 2000. It was a Ultralight 7mm/08 just as it is.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Is this the whitetail version in target grey? Can't remember if those were ultralights or not.

I had one of the Davidson's skeleton and blued 7mm-08's but sold it a few years back. I also had a first run K77RBBZ. I believe that's the correct designation. It was stainless , 22" standard barrel , and in a green and black laminate stock no checkering. That was a very rare 77. The second run of those distributor exclusives had checkered stocks and none in 7mm-08 the second time around. I did however snag a .264 and a 25/06 out of that second run.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
That might have been about the same time the stainless and laminate version came out. Maybe an overrun and put in the skeleton stocks to use them up or another distributor special run?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
That's a nice looking rifle huntsman!

I haven't paid much attention to what some of these models sell for lately but do know the ones I sold brought a premium about 2.5- 3.5x the price they were bought for. The skeleton and blued 7mm-08 brought the most (3.5x) and it was unfired in the box. The SS/lam 7mm-08 and the 264 both brought about 2.5x used but very good shape with the boxes etc. And another rare one I had and sold maybe a year n a half ago was a SS/lam 7mag with open sights.

The only one I have left from the herd of them that i used to have is the 25-06. Stainless , checkered black laminate stock , LC-6 trigger , and I'll about guarantee it's the last MkII Ruger made in the regular 77 MkII series of rifles since Ruger made it for me about a year into the Hawkeye production. The target models were still made as MkII's after the Hawkeye rifles took over the 77's. Not sure if they are still branded as such.

That stainless ultralight would be worth quite a premium to the right buyer. I do remember seeing some years ago now that I've thought about it a while but was always a day late , dollar short when it came to putting one in the safe! I doubt there are much more than 250 , maybe 3-400 of em out there. Just my guess.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
gunnut75 said:
I just picked up this gun today. Serial number is 788-00887. Its stainless and in my caliber as a 7mm/08. I sold one in blue about 8 months ago that was a Davidsons run. This is the ONLY stainless 7mm/08 I have run across. I've read some previous posts that say these weren't cataloged. How common are they actually? Thanks.

Info from RENE, "Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume Two" Forth Revision.

KM77RLP MKII: 7mm-08, Ruger model #7959...Special Distributor model. 498 produced in 2000 for Dixie Shooter's Supply and Ellett Brothers SC. Known S/N range 788-00618 to 788-00699.

Your S/N would extend the "known S/N range". But, I'm looking at the Fourth Revision, from 2010, so the range may already be extended beyond the info that I have.

Latest posts