Improving accuracy Ruger #1?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
I bought a #1 Standard in 30-06 used. According to Ruger's website it was made in 1976, so I'm not sure if it has the older adjustable trigger or not.

Earlier this week I took it to the range and the groups were all over the place. I used Winchester Super X Power Point 180 grain ammo.

When I got the gun it only had the iron sights. No scope or rings. I bought some new rings and a new Leupold 3.5-10 Vari X III.

Based on my internet research I've seen that Ruger considers a 3" group at 100 yards to be sufficient.

Earlier this week I would have been thankful for a 3" group at 100 yards.

What's the twist rate for the barrel and what kind of ammo does it like? I haven't started reloading for it yet. I thought I'd run the gamut of factory ammo first.

todd*doyka

Bearcat
my ruger #1 in 270 win was made in 1973 or 4. i bought it second hand(or third or fourth...). i didn't like the scope so i topped it off with a 3-9x swift(older one, not the new piece of crap!!!!) took her apart, cleaned everything and put it back together. the trigger was/is nice and clean so i did nothing to it. i believe it is factory trigger.

these are 100 yards with a bench.

130gr nosler bt over imr4320/4 shots
iHeWUMa.jpg

140gr hornady sst over imr4350/5 shots
GqVfvNN.jpg

gOJ9dF3.jpg

i've never shot a factory round, just my handloads.

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
Re: barrels and date of manufacture. Off another forum:

The barrels for #1's were douglas match grade from 67-72, Wilson barrels from 73-91, and ruger hammer forged from 93 to the present. The Wilson barrels are the problematic ones. Some were good and some were not so good. If you have one of the poorer performing Wilson's, there's not much you can do other than replacement.

jmoser

Bearcat
Research the forend tensioning systems - you can buy a drop in or do your own like I did. Drill and tap the hanger bar for a set screw to adjust forend tension. I can cloverleaf at 100 yards with my 45-70 using hot loads.

Most of the accuracy upgrades are in the forend; 2 piece stocks are the bane of accuracy. Glass bedding options are also out there; start googling and see what you find.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I dunno how long I've had mine, a #1B, but I know it's been at least fifteen years or more. I had it rechambered to 30-06 A.I the twist is 1:10 and it loves Sierra GameKing 180 gr. and 47 gr. of Varget. It shoots 2" high @100 yards and 5 rounds can be covered with a quarter. It didn't happen overnight, either, and it took some hair pulling and a few colorful words, but all I've ever fired from it are my hand loads.

The best thing to do to improve accuracy for you No 1 is try buy or work up different loads until you find the one your rifle likes.

I have three No 1 rifles chambered for 30-06, the 1-A likes Hornady American Whitetail 150gr. factory loads, my 1-S like Speer 165 gr. BTSP reloads and my K1-B like Speer 180 Gr. Grand Slams and Hornady 180 gr. SST. reloads With their preferred loads all three rifle will shoot 1.25" or less.

You have to just try a bunch and see what your particular rifle likes. Your rifle might hate all my loads.

As an example this is 2 five shot groups at 100 yds. with my No1 RSI 35 Rem. loaded with 748 powder with a 200 gr. Hornady FTX bullet. The same bullet in a factory load shoot about 2.5" groups. It has a Leupold VH-R 1.25-4X Hog Plex scope, not exactly a target rifle/scope combination. I shoot these same loads in a No. 1 Stainless with a 25" barrel and the best I can do is about 2".

Checked it yesterday to get ready for deer season.
https://postimg.cc/7CmhPthM
https://postimg.cc/qNHz1CWn
https://postimg.cc/McWXSJ6p

Good luck and have fun finding your rifles favorite load.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
If a previous poster is correct, I have a No. 1 in .458 Win Mag that has a Douglas barrel.

Nothing wrong with its accuracy. It's at least a 1.25MOA gun even with heavy loads off the bench and I'm not the best bench rest shooter around. Don

wunbe

Buckeye
When someone asks for help in improving accuracy in any particular calibered rifle, what earthly good are responses that simply say "Mine in a different caliber shoots OK." ?

wube

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
wunbe said:
When someone asks for help in improving accuracy in any particular calibered rifle, what earthly good are responses that simply say "Mine in a different caliber shoots OK." ?

wube

BECAUSE....it would seem obvious that a lack of accuracy isn't a universal condition and that for some, perhaps many, there is no reason to modify the gun. Could be operator proficiency too. Don

RSIno1

Hunter
wunbe said:
When someone asks for help in improving accuracy in any particular calibered rifle, what earthly good are responses that simply say "Mine in a different caliber shoots OK." ?wube
I agree answer should be what was done to get those 1" groups. If it shot that way out of the box the answer is no help. But tricks that work on one No1 can be applied to a different model/caliber No1 with similar results.

pulaski

Single-Sixer
Pinned ,
I have 3 #1's in 30-06 . They like 165 g. and 180 g. but not both . I have a B model that will shoot less than an inch with the 165 but not so with the 180's .
I have done some work on all three . As mentioned above . First thing I do is even the forearm pressure and not over tighten the forearm screw , and seal the inside of the wood . Most all have shot better with these simple steps .
I have bought many "bad shooter" #1's that shoot MOA with some simple steps .
Also , the rifle is a single shot not an AR . Most shoot different as the barrel gets hot .
YMMV.
Steve

Latest posts