77/44 optic options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flhpi

Bearcat
Picked this rifle up in a trade. It has a bushnell scope. I don't like anything about it eye relief sucks the cross hairs suck just as bad.
I would like to put something 1x4 on it with a 30mm tube. Has anyone done this?
were your results worth the expense?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Bushnell makes (actually sells, not makes) a wide variety of scopes ranging from $30 blister pack Walmart specials to some very high-line high quality glass.

I don't know what quality or power yours is but there are many good scopes in the many maker's line ups in the range you ask about. Why particularly a 30 mm tube?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Seems everyone has a different preference of reticle. I for one cannot stand the graduated vertical ladder type designed for different ranges. My favorite for this gun, in the power range you want, would be the Leupold VX-R 1.5-5 with their classic Duplex Retical and Firedot. I use the 2-7 power version on my Ruger .44 mag and it has served me well.

If you tell all what you expect from a optic, the price range and your use it helps in giving advice. As there are catalogs full of these things.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I put a Leupold 1 X 4 power variable power shotgun scope on mine. They came with a variety of reticles, mine has the thick duplex. I like it, great field of view, fast to get on target, light weight. I have no problems hitting small targets out to 140 yards, the longest shot on my property. The below pics shows three shots fired from the prone position at 100 yards on the swinging steel:

414031695.jpg

Special ordered from my dealer, cost was $225....

1ruger

Single-Sixer
I've been eyeing those 77/44 rifles for a while. Only thing keeping me back was the bullet OAL limitation due to the magazine. I wanted to cut the barrel down to 8"-10" and mount a suppressor on it to shoot 325gr hard cast WFN-GC bullets at 1,000fps. Put a night vision scope on it and it would be a perfect for getting hogs quietly at night.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Get a nice older Weaver about 4 power and you will be good. A post reticle might be what you need.

I have a 4x Nikon on mine. Im limited to about 80 yrds on shots, limited by woods.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I like a 4X shotgun scope with a circle X on my 96/44.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1325242728/bushnell-trophy-shotgun-scope-175-4x-32mm-circle-x-shotgun-slug-reticle

lostatsea

Bearcat
I had a Leupold 1-4x20 VX2 on a 77/357. Because you probably won't shoot past 100 yards it worked fine. I don't think they make that scope anymore but it's a good one. I have it on a Mini-14 now.

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
While not a 77/44, I put a new Nikon shotgun 2-7x on my 77/357. I selected this based on the fact that it is parallax free at a shorter distance than standard rifle scopes. The scope was great. However, I felt like its bulk detracted from the light, handy characteristics of the rifle, and didn't yield enough practical accuracy for the compromise in handling. I have a red dot now, and prefer that. It might come off soon, and I'll go with irons. The optic selection depends on your application and what you're willing to compromise.

Latest posts