7.62x39 ruger mini 30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

todd*doyka

Bearcat
late this summer, i plan to buy a new ruger mini 30(wood stock) in 7.62x39. when it comes time i can't shoot my big bores, it will be my close-in(100 yards and less) deer gun. now i don't want the mini 30 to be an "ammo dump". i'll reload everything, cast or jacketed bullets, never a fmj, i don't like them. i think i'll buy a 150gr sst and/or a 150+gr fn gc cast boolit. it will be scoped with a 2-7x or 3-9x leupold. i'm planning on going 2 - 3" at 100 yards, 3 - 5 shots.

what do you all think?

i don't like the ar's and ak's and the sks. i've shot them(US Army) and to be frank, they aren't a hunting rifle. i know most of you like the ar, ak and sks and you use them well. thats good, but in my mind, they aren't.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I've had my Mini 30 for about two years now, I like it. Lightweight, reliable, hard hitting. I have found my Mini 30 really favors PPU Soft Point ammo, it has a round nose design unlike other soft points. It is dramatically more accurate than any other factory round I've tried (Remington 123 grain soft point, Winchester soft point, numerous FMJ loads).

With the factory iron sights, shooting from the prone position, I can hit my steel rabbit easily out to 100 yards:

414028451.jpg

Two years ago, special ordered from my dealer I got the stainless version rifle with black synthetic stock, two five round magazines for $802. Ruger factory 20 round magazines are about $40 each, but I use the five round mags the most. Makes for an easy carrying rifle in the woods....

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I think,... know!... you will have a great rig! I had an SKS years ago and handloaded for it. One option if you have some military ammo, is to pull the FMJ bullets and use them for sling shot ammo, and reseat quality game bullets in their place, crimped in place with a Lee Factory Crimp due. Be sure to use equal weight or even lighter game bullets than the FMJs you pull. Use the same powder charge leaving it in place. Now you don't have to worry about the empty fired cases flying off into the briar patch.
My scoped (4X) SKS gave MOA accuracy with quality game bullets.
I'm anxious to hear how your Mini 30 does!
My SKS cleanly killed a small doe at 125 yards.

gunzo

Buckeye
Having something ahead of time to go to that's more manageable for when you get older is a great idea IMO. You can already be familiar with it & the transition can go at your pace.

Bullets? I believe a 150 SST might be a bit to heavily built for 7.62x39 velocities & would look at the various 120-130 grain bullets that are designed for this round. Some bullet manufacturers list the velocity ranges a certain bullet works best at.

Cast bullets, even w/gas checks will probably be a "no go" as they can induce lead into the gas system that can only cause problems.

Get it, enjoy & welcome to the forum.

jmoser

Bearcat
Mine is a 90s vintage but did not shoot 150s at all. Wrong twist. Hornady makes a nice 123 gr soft point .310 perfect for the Russian cartridge. H322 is ideal.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
There are several good game bullets available for the 7.62x39 in .310-.311" (even .312"). Some of us x39 shooters have gotten good accuracy with even .308" bullets. However try the Hornady .310" 123 grain and you might find it works well for deer at ranges out past 100 yards. Also I've seen more types of factory loads become available in recent years as the x39 has become even more popular. I've got a Ruger No.1A in 7.62x39, purchased because of the fun I had years back hunting and handloading for the SKS I had!

9x19

Hunter
As Bill Sr argued once upon a time, aside from the stock shape and some minor bits, there isn't much difference between a Mini and an AR or AK.

But we all like what we like, so have fun.

The Ruger American bolt gun would be a cheaper alternative if your main interest is hunting and hand-loading.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Todd, you may want to look at loading the 123 SST over CFE BLK for close to 2500fps, which should make you a fine deer load. I use new WW or PPU cases with the Hornady bullet. Ruger offers 10 round magazines as well as the 5 and the 20 rounders. Bob! 8)

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
I think your hope for 2-3MOA is pessimistic. I have a 581 Series (heavier profile barrel) Mini30 with the synthetic stock. It's about a 1.25MOA gun off of the bench @ 100yds with a 2-7X scope and I'm not the best bench rest shooter.

I would reload for it and have in the past but for range work, it just doesn't pay. By the time you buy commercial jacketed slugs, you can buy quality commercial brass ammo like Fiocchi which runs beautifully. Actually pretty hot rounds although there are zero signs of pressure. I get 2470 fps with their 123gr FMJ which is faster than reloading manuals show.

Ruger doesn't recommend Russian, Chinese, former Soviet union ammo if it is lacquer coated as they say it can foul the gas system. Might be the same issue with cast slugs, gas checked or no I don't know.

My reloads run fine but not worth the effort. Don

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Great choice for the purpose. I had consistent 3"ish groups and first/cold shots to a 3" cof with just a little smoothing and polishing. Thats a decent deer killzone in a basic repeater under red dot control.

Use top grade domestic ammo.

I am shocked that someone said their mini 30 was light weight! Mine was SS with a woodstock, and that puppy with a 3x9 scope weighed close to 10 lbs, and had recoil as much as my .308 Remington 788, that weighs 7 lbs. The mini 30 went away. Good luck in your quest. An 30/30 lever action is lighter, and quicker pointing IMO.
gramps

lostatsea

Bearcat
"Cast bullets, even w/gas checks will probably be a "no go" as they can induce lead into the gas system that can only cause problems".

General rule of thumb. If you're going to shoot over 1500 fps load FMJ. Cast is for pistols.

todd*doyka

Bearcat
lostatsea said:
"Cast bullets, even w/gas checks will probably be a "no go" as they can induce lead into the gas system that can only cause problems".

General rule of thumb. If you're going to shoot over 1500 fps load FMJ. Cast is for pistols.

yeah and my 300gr saeco fn in 444 marlin is 3/4" at 100 yards. i use cast almost exclusively. 30-40 krag, 45-70, 500 linebaugh...,..

todd*doyka

Bearcat
i was at my lgs today and they had a cz 572 in 7.62×39. fortunately i didn't have the money to buy it!!!! but now i have a dilemma, do i want a ruger mini 30 or a cz 572?

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

rangerbob

Buckeye
todd, split the difference and get an American ranch rifle in 7.62x39. It's a bolt gun that uses Mini-30 magazines for much les$$$$$ than the other 2. Bob!!! :mrgreen: