Guide Gun Stock Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Ive been looking at the Ruger 375's lately. I really like blue and walnut, but laminated stocks add a bit of weight and take the stresses of recoil without cracking. Is there a reason for that butt ugly plastic spacer and what appears to me to be a poorly fitted recoil pad on what otherwise is a nice looking rifle.
Thanks
Bfly

gunzo

Hunter
They have a series of spacers that can be added/removed to adjust the length of pull to suit the owner's physique &/or their style of shooting.

Admittedly not a real pretty set up, but about the way it has to be.

I have the Guide gun in 338 RCM. Those "ugly" spacers make easy to fit many different size shooters. With the weight of the gun combined with the muzzle brake, my 338 seems to kick less than my 308 American. I really like this model, and if I ever decide to get a 375 Ruger it will be in the Guide Gun.

Rodman

Single-Sixer
Bfly, I have 2 Rugers in 375. one is blue with walnut and the other stainless with laminate. I did not like the laminate stock and traded it to a good friend if mine that had a Hogue stock out of personal preference. both my 375s are the earlier ones with no muzzle brakes. I haven't had any issues with the walnut one cracking and I have had it for a few years. I recently glass bedded it just for the reason of making the stock more rigid and put a nice recoil pad on it as the pencil eraser factory pad is useless on a caliber like that.

Rodman

Single-Sixer
SteelBlue, you should have no problem doing that as long as the barrel channels are the same diameter and same style safety on action. I think all the guide guns had the magnum profile barrel even the 30-06 model and I know the few African models I have had were the same barrel profile but they were all magnums and I have never owned one in a non-magnum caliber so might ask around or hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
I got a walnut stock from ruger for my 375. Fit was perfect. I glass bedded it and accuracy was very good. After a fair number of rounds, the stock cracked near the tang. It's repaired but in the future, I would consider laminate stocks or the Hogue. Particularly if you are a high round count shooter.

bittereinder

Bearcat
Rodman said:
SteelBlue, you should have no problem doing that as long as the barrel channels are the same diameter and same style safety on action. I think all the guide guns had the magnum profile barrel even the 30-06 model and I know the few African models I have had were the same barrel profile but they were all magnums and I have never owned one in a non-magnum caliber so might ask around or hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

I had the Guide Gun in 30-06 and now have it in 375 Ruger. Before I sold the 06, I compared them side by side and it looked like the stocks were the same size. The barrel is therefore really beefy for the 06. I loved that gun but have limited space and wanted the 375 for future Africa use.

Anyway, this seems to support Rodman's comment about the Guide and African models having interchangeable stocks.

Latest posts