WOW !! FTW 3006 rifles $499

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kooz

Blackhawk
Was looking at some rifles for my son on Gunbroker , and came across this sale and thought it may interest some of you guys. FTW Hunter in 3006 for $499 , I spoke to the shop yesterday to verify the price and he said he had 32 of them in stock and a few 7mm mags as well for the same $499 price . I set one of these 3006 FTW's for a friend of mine last month for Elk hunting and after the barrel break-in , I got a 3-shot group that went into a .35 cal hole with 165gr Accubonds , his rifle was very accurate .

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788182423

tinman

Buckeye
Don't have an ought six, always been a short action fan, but that looks really nice. :idea:

bentblade

Single-Sixer
First of $499 is a great deal but can someone tell why you want a 30-06 with a 24" barrel 25" with the brake that is going to be pushing 10 lbs buy the time you scope and sling it? Seems like the gun industry, not just Ruger has done a 180 going to longer and heavier rifles. There may be an advantage in some calibers but 30-06? Hey I'm not perfect I bought a Guide Gun in 30-06 and it is a heavy beast also. This rifle is pretty much the same as my Guide Gun The same stock, 4" longer barrel and no sights. Call Ruger and I bet they will tell you that is a laminated stock with a dipped finish.
Sorry if I ruffled any feathers I'm just trying to figure this new trend out. My J.C. Higgen's mod 51 with an FN Mauser action 22" barrel weighs about a 1 1/2 lbs. less and shoots as well as my guide gun.

El Pistolero

Bearcat
bentblade said:
First of $499 is a great deal but can someone tell why you want a 30-06 with a 24" barrel 25" with the brake that is going to be pushing 10 lbs buy the time you scope and sling it? Seems like the gun industry, not just Ruger has done a 180 going to longer and heavier rifles. There may be an advantage in some calibers but 30-06? Hey I'm not perfect I bought a Guide Gun in 30-06 and it is a heavy beast also. This rifle is pretty much the same as my Guide Gun The same stock, 4" longer barrel and no sights. Call Ruger and I bet they will tell you that is a laminated stock with a dipped finish.
Sorry if I ruffled any feathers I'm just trying to figure this new trend out. My J.C. Higgen's mod 51 with an FN Mauser action 22" barrel weighs about a 1 1/2 lbs. less and shoots as well as my guide gun.

The FTW guns are specifically geared towards long range hunting as "long range" is the hot trend in the rifle shooting community as of late. And the FTW Hunters are a collaboration between Ruger and FTW ranch shooting school. Hence the long barrels... http://ftwsaam.com

Ruger still sells Sporter Barreled M77's in the traditional Blued finished walnut stocked guns....

bentblade

Single-Sixer
El Pistolero said:
bentblade said:

The FTW guns are specifically geared towards long range hunting as "long range" is the hot trend in the rifle shooting community as of late. And the FTW Hunters are a collaboration between Ruger and FTW ranch shooting school. Hence the long barrels... http://ftwsaam.com

Ruger still sells Sporter Barreled M77's in the traditional Blued finished walnut stocked guns....

So basically we are talking what used to be a Beanfield rifle. Thanks

kooz

Blackhawk
Yes , they are a dipped laminate stock and a bit heavy , but light for a longrange gun . They have just enough weight to allow for a very steady hold out in the field for longer shots like antelope that have already been shot at a bunch or late season cow elk hunts where they are out on those flat mesa's and you can only get within a few hundred yards even when you are belly crawling . The gun lays down like a Cadillac on a good rest and makes the longer shots a piece of cake .The one I have here is exactly 9 lbs with a Leupold 4.5x14x40mm CDS scope mounted in Warne mounts . They are also balanced very well , so they carry good. I bought one for my wife , she took both a huge cow elk at 250yds and a nice 11pt muley this year with hers , both heart shots , one and done . I have set up and worked up loads for a couple of these guns in 3006 for guys I work with this year and then mounted Leupold CDS scopes with the dials etched with the loads ballistic data . The ones I have shot will do .5 moa , another one of my hunting buddies got one in 7mm mag , and it shoots just as well . We have not needed to use the muzzle brake , gun has enough heft and very good stock design , so recoil is very mild. Triggers have also been excellent on all of these guns that I have shot. I would not have bought one at the list price of $1270 , as I think you can do better at that price point, but at $499 they are a no brainer for someone who needs a gun to reach out a bit . Combine this deal with some of the VX3 1" Leupold CDS scopes that were on sale and being discontinued this year and a guy could get a great setup , rifle & scope for under $900.