Some Interesting 77's showing up at Davidsons

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Just noticed today that some interesting 77 Hawkeyes were showing up at Davidsons. Clean ups I presume

77 Standard in 358 Win, 257 Roberts, 280, 25-06, and an African in 308 Win

77 Compacts in 7.62x39, and 6.8mm

rangerbob

Buckeye
I checked it out. I did not see the 358. Those probably went fast. The 308 "African" is the same rifle I bought years ago as a Compact. Bob!! :D

mrbumps

Blackhawk
rangerbob said:
I checked it out. I did not see the 358. Those probably went fast. The 308 "African" is the same rifle I bought years ago as a Compact. Bob!! :D

I helped get rid of the 358's :D There were two left when I ordered mine. Looks like the 257 Roberts are gone as well.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the heads up. I've longed for one of the 358 carbines, but my money timing was always off. Now they are just out of my league. I missed the 308 carbine a while ago, but ordered one this morning.
Since '72, I've been a tang safey guy, but a few years back I picked up a 77 50 that has been my primary muzzleloader ever since. I wanted a high power C.F. that had the same feel, that has enough stuff for 200 yard shots, and at the same time I could load down as my recoil tolerance fades with age. This could be the gold bullet.
Now to decide what needs to go to get a 77 hornet with sights and a 20" barrel. Hmmm.
Bfly

Buckeye Bill said:
I think the African 308 would be perfect. I visited the Davidsons site and was ready to place the order. I had to back off and relax. I have lots of rifles and a few in 308. I know that I will regret my indecision.

Bill
I did the same thing yesterday but rifles with open sights in that configuration are few and far between...

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I picked up my .358 Win at my FFL today. Very nice. Has the matte finish they used for a while.

Went on Davidsons again today and they are continuing to get some clean-up stuff. They had a 77 Standard in .250 Savage with iron sights. Have that one heading my way now! Notice they also have some 77's in 7x57 Mannlicher Stock, and some 77 Standards in 6.5 creedmoor, 24" barrel, walnut stock. Probably some other's I missed.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
R77PA said:
You guys must be better than me as every time I search Davidsons website I can not find any of these items

Do a search for Ruger, and under the "model" Select M77 HAwkeye. Some of the ones mentioned above have sold out. They seem to be getting them a couple at a time, so who knows if they will get more.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/PowerSearchTabView/SearchResultsFirearms.aspx?&mfg=Ruger&mdl=M77+Hawkeye&cat=All&type=All&cal=All&rebate=No&zipcode=05477

rangerbob

Buckeye
mrbumps, way to go on your 358 M77. I acquired 2 of these when these were being closed out about 9 years back. Being a reloader and rifle looney, I had one rechambered to 35-284 and installed iron sights. Of course, during the 2009 thru 2016 administration, the lack of powder, bullets, and 284 brass slowed me down on load development and shooting. Work and foot surgery have slowed me down since. A friend of mine called me a couple of years ago and asked if I'd be interested in 10 boxes of Hornady 358 factory ammo that his local Academy store was closing out at $20 a box due to lack of sales and I naturally said yes. Now that WW, Hornady, and Starline all make brass, the 358 is a snap to reload. I use RL-10 and 200 Hornady FTX bullets loaded to around 2650fps. Bob!!! :mrgreen:

R77PA

Single-Sixer
Thank you for link. Seems like most of the interesting calibers are gone. 250 says out of stock and 358 is not even listed. Good think I got one of the hawkeyes in 358 years ago. great shooter and deer gun.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
NH Rugerman said:
Buckeye Bill said:
I think the African 308 would be perfect. I visited the Davidsons site and was ready to place the order. I had to back off and relax. I have lots of rifles and a few in 308. I know that I will regret my indecision.

Bill
I did the same thing yesterday but rifles with open sights in that configuration are few and far between...

I'm on the fence, too.

ETA: Gonna pass.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I managed to snag the last 24" barrel, walnut m77 in 6.5 CM. The ad stated that it had 1/10" twist and with a mag capacity of 3 rounds. I assume both are in error as Ruger uses a 1/8" twist with the CM and m77's usually hold 4 308 size rounds in the magazine. Should be in by the end of the week. Bob!! :D

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I picked up my .250 Savage today. A bit of a surprise. Davidson's listed it as a 77 Standard, Satin Blue, Wood Stock. It gave an 18" barrel length, so I suspected it might be a RSI. Well, it was an RSI, but it was Matte Stainless, RSI, red pad. I believe it's one of the "mistake" run of 98 that Lipseys distributed a few years ago.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well I received the 6.5 CM mentioned above. Fairly nice wood, very slim 24" barrel, and surprisingly, a NRA seal on the floorplate. It's still boxed and I have not even installed the bolt. Hope to do more over the weekend. I'm thankful to this thread allowing me to find out about this model as I love very limited production firearms. Bob!! 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
Update from last post. The bolt handle is engraved with letters NRA with gold trim. Does anyone know the story behind this? Bob!! :?