.270 Flat Bolt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
All,

Do you have any idea how many flat bolts were made in .270? I saw one for sale last night (SN 70-23xxx). I don't really need it, but it got me to thinking...

Thanks,

SR

R77PA

Single-Sixer
Not a lot. Did it have sites? Would even be more rare. I have a hollow bolt in 270 but no flatbolts.

If the price and condition were good I would jump on it.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
They are cool looking. If Ruger put these on some or all the Hawkeyes, it may breathe new life into the line.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
There were not many long action flatbolts made to begin with and for whatever reason the .270 is pretty scarce in the flatbolt as well as hollow bolt. An RS or ST is really hard to find in .270.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I picked up the .270 Flat Bolt last night. I'm glad to have it.

Here's my favorite part of the story - I found the gun on the used rack at Cabela's. Not in he Gun Library, but out where they keep the rest of the stuff. It was hiding in plain sight with the synthetic stocked Savages and Remingtons of the world. I am happy to move it to a storage location that is slightly more high class.

SR

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I shot the gun today. I think it will be a sub-1" gun for sure. It was shooting at that level with the old Redfield 4x that came on it. My last 3-shot group of the day had the first two shots touching and the third about 3/4" away. I'll take that with a 4x scope any day.

I have a couple of other flatbolts. One is a .243 RS that shoots really well too. The first 3-shot group I ever shot with it was an honest 1/4". I haven't replicated that, but it's easily sub-1" on a consistent basis.

SR

mcknight77

Blackhawk
I have an M77R .270Win flatbolt. It is in the 70-22xxx range.

In my discussions with a certain potato farmer he intimated that he believes there are less of them made than there are collectors wanting them, something like 20 or less of them made. Of course, since Ruger never posted the number made, we will just have to wait to see how many show up over the years. Congrats on finding one!

I lucked into the one I have. It showed up on a sale sight not listed as a flatbolt. I contacted the seller, asked for some pictures, and bought immediately for a very fair price. It was/is not pristine. I looks like it stood in a corner of a closet for years and the heel of the pad is a bit collapsed. Otherwise it's in nice condition. Seller said he scoped it, shot it, and put in the closet. I hunt with it some and shot a nice 3-point muley with it a couple of years ago. It's a consistent MOA rifle with most everything I've shot through it.

I believe that there were only about 7,000 or so long action flat bolts made with the 7Mag and .30-06 being the most common calibers. There are some .25-06s out there. 7x57 and .338Mag are extremely rare and I've never actually seen one of those.

Would love to see some pictures of the one you bought.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I will try to post some pictures in the next day or two. It's probably a 97% or so gun. That's about how I like them - nice enough to be a good representative sample, but not so nice to keep me from hunting them.

SR

Latest posts