I recently purchased the Lipsey Hawkeye "African" in 6.5X55

My experience has been;
Opened the box
Saw It didn't have the express sights
Put it in the cabinet
(paid my money, took a chance)

EJ 375

Bearcat
Had mine for years and it is an excellent hunting rifle especially for white tail deer. With Barns triple shock or tipped triple shock at 130 grains is a real good performer. Only thing I really wish they would change or modify is the flag safety. It is a little small for use wearing gloves. Our cold weather and gloves would be much easier with a modified flag safety like a Winchester M 70 type. I am surprised that they do not offer this or an after market part is not available.

meister mash

Bearcat
Few months late but, I have one.
It's a nice svelte trim bolt rifle with nice walnut.
It shoots great with 140+ weight bullets but doesn't plug anything under 140 worth a hoot.
I shot a deer with it using 140 gr remingtons.
That wasn't much of a shot.
Smaller deer, scope on 9x and close range.
Only good thing was is rolled down a large hill and was less than 100' from the truck.
Groups size for those was about 2" with a 3x9 burris ff2.
The light 6.5 bullets were terrible. 6-8" at best realm.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
The 6.5 x 55 is probably my favorite round. I have one in the Mark II (swing safety on the bolt). Mine also likes 140 grain bullets but also shoots the Barnes X bullets well including the 120 grain.

The 6.5 bullets, especially the 140 grain ones perform beyond expectations for medium to medium large game. They use it for moose in Sweden I have read.

The Barnes X bullets are monolithic bronze or copper and have a good reputation. They tend to be a bit longer for weight which is why I think they work well in my Ruger.

Some don't like the 6.5x 55 because it is generally chambered in a long action and the argument is that if you are using a long action you can get more performance from a cartridge that uses all of the strength and length of the action.

Sometimes I think about having my tang safety International (full stock) in .308 converted to 6.5x55 (short action magazine would hold the 120 grain x bullet loads) as this is my favorite Ruger rifle and I think it would be a great 6.5. Of course the easier way to get there would be 6.5x.308 which would be as good, just not as elegant.

I had an No.1 A in 6.5X55 and it shot great. For some foolish reason, I let that one get away from me.

I recently purchased a Hawkeye African in 6.5X55. I have only just started shooting it but you can see a range report I posted a week ago.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=275788

All I have fired is 140 grain Nosler Accubond bullets.

https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/accubond-nosler-bullet/shopby/f/caliber/6.5mm/isAjax/1.html

I want to try some of the Hornady 6.5 143 grain bullets.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/6-5mm-264-143-gr-eld-x#!/

While there are good factory hunting rounds on the market, I think that reloading for this rifle is the key to peak performance.

Bill

bnewberry said:
The 6.5 x 55 is probably my favorite round. I have one in the Mark II (swing safety on the bolt). Mine also likes 140 grain bullets but also shoots the Barnes X bullets well including the 120 grain.

The 6.5 bullets, especially the 140 grain ones perform beyond expectations for medium to medium large game. They use it for moose in Sweden I have read.

The Barnes X bullets are monolithic bronze or copper and have a good reputation. They tend to be a bit longer for weight which is why I think they work well in my Ruger.

Some don't like the 6.5x 55 because it is generally chambered in a long action and the argument is that if you are using a long action you can get more performance from a cartridge that uses all of the strength and length of the action.

Sometimes I think about having my tang safety International (full stock) in .308 converted to 6.5x55 (short action magazine would hold the 120 grain x bullet loads) as this is my favorite Ruger rifle and I think it would be a great 6.5. Of course the easier way to get there would be 6.5x.308 which would be as good, just not as elegant.
They already make an 7-08. I mean what is the difference in a silly half millimeter?
gramps, who doesn't give a fig about elegance. Practical ROCKS. :mrgreen:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I thought the 6.5 / 308 was hiding under the 260 Remington nomenclature these days. Bob!