Ruger mini 14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lostatsea

Bearcat
I'm looking at buying a new Mini 14 before we get another gun control law here in WA.

Specifically I'm looking at a model that comes with a 5 rd mag, I think 5801 or 5855.

My question, will the 20 rd mags work in these 5 rd models. I'll just buy one down the road if they are interchangeable.

I shoot benchrest a lot and those long mags are a PIA.

57springer

Buckeye
COSteve said:
The new Mini-14 Ranch Rifles and Tactical models are a hoot. I also picked up a NIB 583 Series Ranch Rifle some 3½ years ago. Out of the box it was about a 2 MOA shooter. Not bad for a M14/M1A styled semi-auto. However, with a few tweaks that only cost about what a quality trigger costs in an AR and shooting quality ammo, the new Mini-14s are near 1 MOA capable. No, not a tack driver but then it wasn't designed to be one. It's a great compact carbine. Near the size of an M1 Carbine but firing a much, much more capable caliber.

My Mini-14 after a few tweaks giving it a demonstrated 1¼ MOA accuracy with my 62grn Hornady HPBT handloads. Accuracy enhancements included trigger job, 1911 buffers on gas pipe and op rod spring, reduced aperture gas bushing and torqued gas block screws, new rear sight with target aperture and thinned front sight giving me 'NM' like sights, Choate HG for better cooling, and shimmed action. All easily done and costing about $120. The Accu-Strut under the barrel is for a bit of heat sinking and got give it a M14 style look as the new thicker barrels don't benefit from stiffening like the older, pencil barreled ones did.

53JZN5V.jpg

Not being able to leave well enough alone, about a year ago I decided I wanted to get a bit fancy and make it more of a 'Mini M14'. I added a true walnut stock and a Choate Front Sight FH combo. Then I topped it off with some OE brand straight 20rd mags which feed and cycle as well as the Ruger brand curved 20rd mags to complete the M14 look.

Shown with it's 'Big Brother' my M1A with NM sights.

Q4ExkGC.jpg
Nice , I like mini 14s .

lostatsea

Bearcat
Thanks. I've never owned or even shot a 14. I decided to get one because I like the look. Never been an AR guy although I think they are a better fit for most considering price and versatility.

My only carbine now is a USGI M1 that I hardly ever shoot anymore. My eyes have gone south on me so I need a carbine I can put some glass on.

I plan on putting a better trigger on it or possibly having the existing trigger tuned a bit. Anyone know of a good aftermarket trigger or a gunsmith who can tune the trigger?

I reload .223 so I can play with bullets and powder until I find a good fit.

grobin

Blackhawk
Steve, thanks! Best trick, being a photographer I should have thought of that. An easy way to try it out is just take some black art paper and put a pinhole in it. Shows the effect with minimal fuss and no alterations.

lostatsea

Bearcat
Thanks. I have a 3 moa Vortex red dot on a pistol. It really helps me out at 50 yards. Might try that first before I go to a scope. Probably all I need at 100 yds which is where I normally shoot.