Could we see a return of the Deerfield (99/44)?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Their is an interest in pistol caliber carbines among people (just about anything Glock mag compatible). Their is also an interest among northern hunters in the 44 mag (No. 1, 77/44) and 450 Bushmaster (AR 556 MPR, RAR, Scout Rifle, No. 1) with changes in laws.

The the above in mind, what's the potential that we could see a return of the 99/44 Deerfield?

I always wanted a Deerfield, but I wasn't financially stable enough to buy one before they were discontinued last time.

Charlie

grobin

Blackhawk
It appears unlikely to me. There are two paths that are promising: the cowboy action replicas (Henry&Rossi, et al have that) and the modular multi caliber carbines like the AR & Aero that the PC9 is heading for. If Ruger sticks with the Glock magazines I don't see any rimmed cartridges in the future. If Ruger takes a path untroden, with rimmed cartridge box magazine modulars then some thing sort of like the 99/44 is inevitable.

DGW1949

Hunter
Re: Could we see a return of the Deerfield (99/44)?...

One would think that two market failures out of two tries would be enough for 'em, so I highly doubt that they'll try a 3rd.

DGW

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Its too bad, as I found the 99/44 an excellent rifle. Put over 800 rounds through mine so far. Accuracy is always inside a fist-sized target at 100 yards. Add a fwd rail for a scout scope and its everything one needs for a tree stand or stalking in most states. The rotating bolt/extractor isn't really necessary for straight-walled cartridges, but it works with authority.

Everybody wants to use something other than what the factory designed the gun for, ammo-wise. Never could understand that. RTFM.

If I were king, I'd have them redesign it for 357Magnum and do a couple of short runs (with an upgraded wooden stock version!). In a 357Mag it'd be an even better woods-walking carbine gun and I think it'd sell more than the 44RM ever did.
Oh, thats right - Ruger isn't interested in single-pc flow and doesn't have that capability anyway!

tinman

Buckeye
From the recent resurgence in the 10mm, I'm thinking (as a test of the waters) we may see the Ruger PCC in that caliber first.

9x19

Hunter
I'd expect a Mini in .450 Bushmaster before the 99/44... but Ruger just announced an AR556 in that chambering, so the Mini probably won't happen either.

grobin

Blackhawk
As for the PCC I'd expect Ruger to stick to the Glock magazines, at least for the near term. So I'd expect the next to be a PC45 or PC10. (I don't see the 40 as having much appeal to LEO nor do I see the point of a 380 or 357 SIG carbine!)

As for any AR calibers I don't see anything in semi auto aside from uppers. That doesn't preclude bolt actions along the lines of the Bushmaster offerings. Those are always possible.

pete44ru

Hunter
mohavesam said:
If I were king, I'd have them redesign it for 357Magnum and do a couple of short runs (with an upgraded wooden WALNUT stock version!).

I fixed it for you..... ;)

The only reason I didn't keep my 99/44 was the peanut-butter-looking "hardwood" stock. :(

I actually spray painted the plastic upper handguard to match the stock color - but it ended up looking like a Marlin 99 M-1 on steroids. :oops: :(

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
When you consider the cost of a box of 44 Magnums compared to a box of 9mm you can see why guys aren't hip to blast away with a Deerfield. ...of course reloaders don't mind the cost as much but there just aren't that many reloaders.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
When you consider the cost of a box of 44 Magnums compared to a box of 9mm you can see why guys aren't hip to blast away with a Deerfield. ...of course reloaders don't mind the cost as much but there just aren't that many reloaders.
Even for reloaders the cost of 44 Mag is substantially higher than 9 mm. Bullets are much more expensive to buy and ship, brass, even if you buy once-fired, is far more expensive and the powder charges are much higher so you get a lot fewer rounds per pound. I expect you can buy brand new brass cased commercial 9 mm for less than you can reload 44 Mag ammo.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Both Deerfield and .44 carbine are fabulous guns that are fun to shoot and shoulder well. I personally love the rotary magazine and find the PCC clip awkward and unsightly. I'd be happy to see a return of a semi-auto in .44 mag which is still more popular than the 10mm.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
That makes me sad. I had hoped that with the 77/44 we might see the 99/44. I will keep an eye out on the used market when I return to the US.

9x19,

Good point on the 450 bushmaster. We might still see it in the Mini-14 though.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Leucoandro said:
That makes me sad. I had hoped that with the 77/44 we might see the 99/44. I will keep an eye out on the used market when I return to the US.

9x19,

Good point on the 450 bushmaster. We might still see it in the Mini-14 though.
What we like and hope to happen really has very little to do with what Ruger decides to make. ...But sometimes things work out and customer interest builds and they decide to make some nice 44 Special handguns.:D Personally I would like to see some more Ruger lever-action rifles in 44, 357, 41 and some rimfires with a nice walnut stock, stick magazine and heck maybe even stainless. :D :D

22/45 Fan

Hunter
COSteve said:
While true, the cost of handloading 44 mag, like 357 mag, 45 Colt and others is still cheaper than buying commercial brass cased 9mm ammo. Case in point, I currently handload a 255grn plated 45 Colt load for 18.1¢ per rd which works out to $9.05 per box of 50rds.
Well, I just bought a case of 1000 CCI 9 mm 115 gr Blazer brass for $170 delivered from Natchez and that's $.17/round or $8.50 per box of 50. I also bought a box of 1050 CCI Independence 9 mm 115 gr aluminum cased for $150 delivered or $.143/round and $7.15 per box of 50.

I stand by my claim I can buy commercial 9 mm for less than you can reload a .44 Mag or .45 Colt.

grobin

Blackhawk
I reiterate that 9mm is so cheap that unless it's speciality ammo it's not worth reloading.

BUT this all is off topic! There isn't going to be any revival of any rimmed cartridge carbine with a tube or rotary magazine! There no market for one with a tube or rotary magazine!

Ruger most likely will proceed with PCCs chambered in 45 and 10mm, using Glock magazines.

I would like to see Ruger take a new path and make a PCC with box magazines for rimmed cartridges; 357, 44, 460, 480... I think that it would sell well.

I don't see Ruger making a PCC in a AR cartridge. Putting their hand in that garbage disposal makes nonsense. Particularly, as they are already in the AR and upper market.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Different strokes for different folks. Compared to the cost of anything else you can do for fun, commercial 44 mag rounds are cheap. And from my point of view there is a market for tubes and rotary magazines, not all of us like a big gangly magazine hanging down under our gun. I hunt feral pig with a SR-762 because it is a nice gun and I use the shortest magazine possible. I don't think I've ever taken more than three shots in a short period of time when hunting. The four-shot flush-mount rotary mag is wonderful.

DGW1949

Hunter
SteelBlue said:
Different strokes for different folks. Compared to the cost of anything else you can do for fun, commercial 44 mag rounds are cheap. And from my point of view there is a market for tubes and rotary magazines, not all of us like a big gangly magazine hanging down under our gun. I hunt feral pig with a SR-762 because it is a nice gun and I use the shortest magazine possible. I don't think I've ever taken more than three shots in a short period of time when hunting. The four-shot flush-mount rotary mag is wonderful.

Excellent points, all.
Just speaking for myself though, our "Piney Woods Rooters" can get up close to 300 Lbs, but I ain't seen one yet that didn't fall to a .45LC or 30-30...so you can still make mine a lever gun, thank you. :wink: .

DGW

Latest posts