Operator error

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I think it has happened to all or most of us at some point.
Last week I test fired a factory load in my "FTW" 6.5 CM with the new timney trigger adjusted at 2lbs. 5 shots, each shot after the first went higher and wider to the right. The group measured about 2.5" wide and 3" high. I was about to give up on this rifle as a great shooter.
I than shot a 5 shot group in a 77 mark 2, 7mm rm. With bullets loaded for Elk. It has a new reduced trigger spring, now at 4 lbs from 6lbs. That group was 1/2" wide 1 3/4" high.
Still mad at home an hour later I pulled out the rifles to clean them. The scope on the FTW had slid in the bases. I checked the screws, I had not tighten them. They were just tight enough to hold it in place on the bench not being fired. There is a lesson here.

Single-Sixer
Operator error, until I opened the post I thought someone was talking about me.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Son-in-law discovered loose bases on his Savage .30-06 weekend before last. Fixed the accuracy problem by tightening them.

Had a Ruger Hawkeye .30-06 that wouldn't shoot well at all. Discovered the scope was adjusted to a horizontal stop.

Love it when the fix is cheap.

wunbe

Buckeye
A buddy's new high $ scope was spraying rounds with his "one hole" rifle and he was about to send it back. The we found the front bell was resting on the iron sight. Taller mounts fixed the issue.

wunbe

daveg.inkc

Hunter
My AR 556 came out of box with barrel nut loose. Could not figure why it would not group, until I found front sight could be twisted side to side!

End of story. After I fixed my loose rings, I finally had time to test it last week. From a clean/dry cold barrel it shot 3 rounds of Hornady 140 ELD match ammo 4 inches low in a group the size of a dime. I then shot 3 rounds of hand loads with 140 Sierra match bullets with 4451 powder. They opened up the same group to around 3/4 inch. I guess I will keep the rifle.