What to do with a 1980ish stainless Mini-14?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
So I have access to a 1980ish stainless Mini-14 at a wonderful price. It's the old pencil barreled carbine that has the "shotgun pattern" reputation. Only accurate rifles are interesting to me. Is re-barreling an option or too expensive for a man of modest means? Just bouncing a thought around. Heck. It doesn't even have a factory method of scope mounting. Thanks folks. Don.

DGW1949

Hunter
Seems to me that you wish it were something it ain't, so I think that the real question here is...why set yourself up for disappointment?

DGW

What to do? 1st find out if it was in the recall due to action problems with the SS as I recall but, that was along time ago. Mine went back, got fixed and then sold.

DGW1949

Hunter
kmoore said:
What to do? 1st find out if it was in the recall due to action problems with the SS as I recall but, that was along time ago. Mine went back, got fixed and then sold.

True that.
The very-early stainless Mini's were absolute garbage, and dangerous to boot. Back when I was a Deputy Sheriff down in Liberty County, the State was issuing them to Game Wardens and Troopers...key word there being "was"...meaning that they were recalled after a couple had gone full auto. :shock: .

DGW

JFB

Hunter
I have two of them, bought one new, given the second.

the one I have close at hand, I drilled the rear sight out so it is now a ghost ring. the last time I used it was for sniping beavers at less than 50 yards and it was "spray and pray"

DGW1949

Hunter
By contrast...I have a much newer "tapered barrel" blued and wood model 5801 which is a 2-MOA shooter out to 200 yds using Mil-Spec (M855) ammo. No scope, no precision hand loads, no barrel strut, tripod, sand bags or bench...just the gun and a sling.

Point is...why anyone would even bother with an old-school skinny barreled Mini-14 is beyond me. Especially if it's a stainless model...which as a group, never did shoot as well as the blued guns.

DGW

daveg.inkc

Hunter
One thing you might try,,, install a flash suppressor. It made my Ranch shoot better. Added weight to change barrel whip. I bought this from Cheaper than Dirt,, several years ago.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Disagree with the "absolute garbage" opinion. I've never had an early mini that couldn't be fired well. I've had a few.
IRL, I've met many more "garbage shooters" than garbage rifles.

But it sounds like the op wants/needs something other than a mini 14, so I agree, move along on that gun n let someone else enjoy it.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Mini's are fun blasters. If the OP can get it cheap enough, why not?

DGW1949

Hunter
mac66 said:
Mini's are fun blasters. If the OP can get it cheap enough, why not?

As I read his original post, "fun blaster" was not on his list of requirements.
And besides, how cheap can "cheap enough" possibly be when a full-on accuracy package from a reputable Mini-14 smith can easily run upwards of $750-$800 or so?

Don't get me wrong...I am a big fan of the Mini Platform and have been for years. Thing is though, none of the uses that I've put any of mine to included trying to gain bragging rights by shooting little-bity groups off of a bench. That is simply not their long suit, so in my mind, why encourage someone else to buy something that I know ahead of time is not going to do what they want done?

DGW

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Big Brother has two Mini-14's. Don't know the years of mfg but used one for shooting p-dogs in TX back in the '80's or early 90's.

For an accuracy nut like me, they were garbage. Hitting a P-dog at 100 was iffy, past that it was pure luck.

For wasting ammo, they were great.

While I like the idea of the minies, the implementations I've shot convinced me to spend my money elsewhere.