Value of a first year Red Label 20 ga?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sagebrush

Bearcat
I have not posted in a long time having sold almost all of the many Ruger firearms I had in order to pay medical expenses.

One I have remaining is a 20 ga. Red Label that was made in 1978, the first year of production. I want to trade it to an acquaintance in exchange for some work he is doing for me. I am hoping you all can give me some advice on a fair value. The shotgun is in good to very good condition.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Condition! Condition! Is there a box, papers, etc. choke combinations. Sleet and skeet, etc. need more info to arrive at a fair price.

pete44ru

Hunter
kevin masten said:
Condition! Condition! Is there a box, papers, etc. choke combinations. Sleet and skeet, etc. need more info to arrive at a fair price.

FWIW, the early blued RL's had fixed chokes.

IMHO, one in pristine original issue condition would bring about $2K today - but I haven't really kept myself up to date with the RL market.

Less than 100% remaining original condition, no box/papers, or other mods would drop my above estimated value like a stone.

Sagebrush

Bearcat
Thanks, guys.

I'll check out the gunbroker link.

No box, no paperwork, just a good shotgun in good condition.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I had a first year Red Label, 20 gauge, Three digit serial number. It had fixed chokes of IC/M. 26" barrrels. It was a great grouse gun, although a tad heavy for a 20 gauge. I sold that on Gunbroker about three years ago for about $900 if I remember correctly. It had some honest wear from hunting, but I would have rated it about 90%. No box.

Sagebrush

Bearcat
thanks for the data point. The condition of yours sounds like mine. I don't think it has a three-digit serial number, though.

Anyhow, whether the Red Label goes to my acquaintance or not, it is time to pass it on to a new owner.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"...a used one for hunting..." Was not in the OP query.

Used and carelessly-handled Red Label 20 gauge guns start around $950 and go only up, in my travels.

Condition is everything. As new, in box guns have been very hard to find, hands-on IRL for under $1250 to $1400...
"internet guns" require shipping and transfer fees as true costs.

Sagebrush

Bearcat
Thanks again for the info. The contractor has decided not to take it in trade for his work. So I will be selling it in a few weeks.

CaliforniaKid

Bearcat
Their soft firing pins shorten usability, but 100% condition can be $1500.00 down to $475.00 at 60 % condition. However as I mentioned they don't hold up. Around here you can pick them up fairly inexpensively, but they may not work and unless my friend has steered me wrong the only way to get new firing pins is to have someone make them for you. Of course the failure to fires are Trap shooters guns so they have had thousands of rounds through them before the pins are shot.

lostatsea

Bearcat
List it on GI for $1000 and you'll sell it. O/U's are out of style, especially with fixed chokes. You can't, or shouldn't, shoot steel in those. Everyone wants an autoloader these days so there isn't much of a market for O/U field guns. People want to be able to shoot waterfowl with steel. JMO.

troystaten

Bearcat
Don't know about values but just a heads up on repairs, I have one of the older ones (no changeable chokes) and it was having issues with firing a few years ago so I sent it to Ruger and they fixed it at no charge.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
California Kid. You have an opinion about the Red Label that is only your own. These guns are incredibly durable and completely underestimated. You can take your opinion somewhere else.