Real world reliability of the AR-556?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
I'm curious as to how reliable the AR-556 is in totally stock configuration? Mine cost considerably less than my other ARs and I'd like to know from members of the forum what, if anything, typically fails? Because we all know that when something fails, it fails at the worst possible time.

How long have you owned yours? How many rounds? I've read where many of you replaced certain parts (triggers mostly), but I'd like to know specifically about parts you replaced because the stock parts failed.

For example, I have a S&W PC M&P 15 that liked to "double." S&W replaced the bolt and that fixed it. But that was a common problem with that model.

Does the Ruger have any such weaknesses?

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have one. AR 556. I changed trigger to a Timney. Nikon scope 223. Barrel nut was loose from factory. Would not repeat or group. Found one morning over coffee, that I could twist front sight side to side! Called Ruger, and was told to remove Timney trigger, or they would charge me. I took it back to LGS, where purchased. It was tightened and fixed! I have a target, 100 yrds with 4 shots of M855 NATO that a dime covers. Sub-MOA is not bad for a other wise stock AR.

hittman

Staff member
Mine is bone stock.
Probably only have 300 to 400 rounds through it.
Never one problem.

Most guys I know who have had problems with the AR platform create their own issues with poor reloads, aftermarket parts, junk old or broken magazines and of course trying to shoot them like they're a full auto weapon.

You know the type .... load a 100 round drum with junk reloads into a dry gun, shoot from the hip and pull the trigger as fast as humanly possible.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well fire 3000 to 4000 rounds and then tell us some things meaningful. Direct impingement actions have a hard earned reputation for poor reliability under heavy use and adverse conditions. They also tend to be fussy about ammo. Their reputations are poorer than they should be however.

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
grobin said:
Well fire 3000 to 4000 rounds and then tell us some things meaningful. Direct impingement actions have a hard earned reputation for poor reliability under heavy use and adverse conditions. They also tend to be fussy about ammo. Their reputations are poorer than they should be however.

I'm actually curious as to particular weak points specifically concerning the Ruger, but since it has been mentioned, direct impingement actions have logged millions of rounds in combat and, as long as the troop cleaned/cared for his weapon, saw him through his tour.

The comments in this article/thread are interesting: https://info.stagarms.com/blog/bid/297530/The-difference-between-Gas-Piston-and-Direct-Impingement-technology-for-an-AR-15

wdodd

Bearcat
Have two (1 for me, 1 for my son). 5,000+ commercial rounds through each. Maybe one FTF or fail to fully eject per 400-500 rounds. I'm happy!!!

grobin

Blackhawk
Provided you keep it clean and only feed it ammo it likes the well known direct impingement action problems should not occur. AFAIK Ruger has no known problems other than those already mentioned. Just don't count on it being reliable with any old surplus ammo!

gramps said:
Jeepnik said:
daveg.inkc said:
I have run hundreds of reloads, M193 & M855 with no problems.

Yep, hear stories like that all the time. The problem is when the darned things fail when they really need to work there usually isn't anyone left to tell the tale.
This is why military and police use them?
gramps

It was a military owned M16 that tried to get me killed. Never had the same problem with an M14. So based solely on my personal experience (no other stories or tales from the past) they are not something to bet "MY" life on.

You see, sometimes when you aren't at a nice clear range where you can clean and pamper them AR15/M16 type rifles get dirty and you just can't call a cease fire while you try and figure out how to get the body of a case out of the chamber before folks start shooting again.

By the way, there was no broken shell extractor then. There was also no plunger on the side, but that would only have made things worse.

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
I don't anticipate having to defend against hordes of VC so the context is different. Hordes of prairie dogs, maybe. But in case of a zombiepocalypse, my go-to rifle is likely my piston driven Sig 716. Or, based upon your recommendation, my SA M-1A?

I was just inquiring about the AR 556 in the most general terms and, my question was answered.

Thanks for all the responses.

instructor

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger SR 556 (piston driven) and an upper for a clone of a SPR Mk 12 mod 0 (gas impingement system) and an upper for matches built by Compass Lake Eng. which I used while taking place in XC matches. Have therefore two lowers, one being Ruger and other being LRB lower and upper for the "clone" version. The CLE upper has the most rounds through it, but the other two have been shot quite a bit as well, almost weekly. My preferred ammunition is IMI Razor Core 77gr. bullet for commercial rounds plus I reload carefully as well using the IMI brass. I have not had any malfunctions with any of the above combinations of lower and upper for several years, but not in a combat situation and hopefully will not experience any of that at the age of 80 years. With the CLE upper can still place shots in the X ring at 600 yards using the NM rear mechanical sight system and post front sight.

Yoter

Bearcat
The only issues I have experienced are with aftermarket parts that out of spec. Keep the rifle clean an lubed. Avoid steel cased and corrosive ammo.

The AR I carried on my Ranger UTV never failed to do what it was supposed to do. It lived in a roof gunrack exposed to as much dirt and debris as anyone can imagine. Went inside for cleaning 5-6 times per year. No big deal. No bigtime name brand( I assembled it myself from basic parts kit). How could anyone ask for more? It's gone a year ago today in the fire but another has taken it's place and although not nearly the timespan, has not failed.
Another AR rides in a gun rack behind the seat of the farm pickup. Again, no care other than a boresnake once every 3-4 months. Always works. Made it myself, nothing fancy. I'd bet my life on either any day, any time.
Another AR (folding stock PDW configuration) rides behind the console of my work pickup. I haven't even looked at it for months but will bet all the hamburgers you can eat that when I open the stock and rack the bolt, it's ready and able to make noise.
I'm not saying I haven't seen some combinations of parts that simply weren't compatible but it's surprising how you can just throw together a bunch of random parts from the lowest bidder and more often than not, get a working rifle.

Mobuck, just out of curiosity, your AR's, are they ever required to fire magazine after magazine in rapid succession? Have you ever had to use one to defend yourself and others against a determined enemy?
This is what the system was supposed to do. It's failed miserably from my experience.
For shooting little nonaggressive critters or inanimate targets where the only threat is embarrassment from failures the rifles are fine.

PinnedAndRecessed

Single-Sixer
I see the thread has been resurrected so, here's an update.

First, the title of the thread referenced the Ruger AR-556. I only put AR-556 because, this being a Ruger forum, I assumed everybody would know I was asking about the Ruger direct impingement AR (since, that's how Ruger markets it). Clearly not.

On a whim, to upgrade, I purchased a Daniel Defense DDM6/V9 and outfitted it with offset folding iron sights and a Leupold 1.5-4 illuminated reticle scope. I like it just fine but the only modification I've made is to replace the safety lever with a superior aftermarket lever.

My Ruger AR is now just a bedside gun.

Thanks for the responses.