ruger american ranch 7.62x39 ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I experimented with numerous manufacturers of ammo. The Rooshkie stuff was mediocre in mine, where the same stuff in Heliman's rifle shot much better. Mine really did shine when I switched to domestic ammo. The biggest surprise was Hornady's SST loaded in steel cases. Who'da thunk?

Sub-1" groups with quality domestic ammo.

And even better with Hornady SST ammo.

2" groups with steel cased commie ammo.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Yeah thanks. I have a bunch of the tula 154sp and really not that confident in it. Yes it takes boar but not as accurate as I would like.

What grain is the Hornady SST?

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks I looked the ammo up and found it. I thought they may make different weights and wanted to know what shot well in your rifle. Like I said the tula works but..........

This probably won't help... but a few years back I bought a batch of reloads from Georgia Arms... brass cased and soft primed... and it shot well and clean... the most important part was clean.... some friends were shooting my rifles and somebody ran about 20 rounds of Russian ammo through it and I swear it looked like someone had poured mud down the barrel.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Yeah I really don't mind reloading for it but but don't know a good starting point. My buddy helped me once with a rifle he owned. I was having trouble with accuracy with it. He gave me his receipe and it worked perfectly. If I had a good starting point I would work a load up but so far kinda blind.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
There is a ton of reloading data from the major bullet manufacturers and powder suppliers on the web. You should be able to find plenty of good recipes. Look up Hodgdon Powder's web site as a great reference.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I load the Hornady SST 123 gr bullet in either WW or PPU new brass cases. I use CFE Black with the recommended load from Hodgdon. I use the Lee die set and the factory crimp die. Bob!! 8)

thumbs

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
I load the Hornady SST 123 gr bullet in either WW or PPU new brass cases. I use CFE Black with the recommended load from Hodgdon. I use the Lee die set and the factory crimp die. Bob!! 8)

Ok thats a good start for sure. Actually I would rather load them. How do you guys think they would do on tough ole boar? They are pretty heavily boned.

grobin

Blackhawk
I've shot a couple with the 115g 9mm and both took several shots. The Buffalo Bore Ammunition Outdoorsman 9mm Luger +P 147gr worked much better as did the 10mm 220 gr buffalo bore outdoorsman. The 123 grain should do well if loaded hot. Hodgdon shows a max load MV of 2554, should be fine.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I was just wondering if the SST will penetrate though the heavy bone to get to the vitals. I have used the tula 154gr sp in 7.62x39 and it did well. But the trick is accuracy. They gotta hit where you want them. The tula did not shine in those cases. Yes they worked fine but not as accurate as I would like. The thing is you need penetration and accuracy on these critters.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:

Where are you getting these bullets? I find them then it says discontinued.

thanks

blammer

Single-Sixer
Natchezss says they have Hornady SST 123Gr 762x39 bullets. Grafs had a few, but limited stock. Midway said something about unavailable- limited production. There are other 123 gr bullets from Hornady and others.

rangerbob

Buckeye
thumbs, I usually get them from Sports South, a distributor in Shreveport. Currently that have 41 boxes of them in stock. You can have your local dealer order some for you. It's Hornady bullet #3142, 123 gr. SST. I just checked the Hornady website and they are still listed. I'd suggest that if you locate some buy as many as you can stand. Another feature of this bullet is that it has a cannelure which makes overall length and crimping a no brainer. Bob! 8)

Latest posts