Ruger no. 3 45-70 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've got a nice no.3 in 45-70 that I've had for about 10 years. We are moving out west soon so I've been going through some of my guns to decide what I will be using after the move. Being from Michigan I have never felt handicapped with iron sights, but my hunting will probably be at much longer ranges where we are going. So scope equipped rifles will be more useful to me now. The problem is, my no. 3 isn't drilled and tapped for a scope mount. From all I've seen online, every no. 3 was factory drilled and tapped. Did Ruger ever make one that wasn't? The rifle is in great shape and I love it but may be selling it because I don't think I want to destroy collectability by having a gunsmith mount a scope if that's the way it came from the factory. Also, what would be a good asking price if I do sell it. I went on gun broker but don't have an account so I can't see sold prices.

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
I have a 45 Colt Browning Low Wall Traditional Hunter that isn't drilled and tapped and where I hunt iron sights are a handicap.

I don't recall the manufacturer, but there are 3/8 dovetail to weaver adaptors that slip into the rear sight dovetail and allow you you mount the reflex sight of your choice. Not a scope, but it certainly helps me extend my range and see where I'm aiming in low light. If you need a gun out to 150-200 yards this might work, if longer shots are required there are better arrangements.

I'm no expert but I think $700+ would be a reasonable price. Hopefully somebody more in touch with the market will chime in.

I never heard of the dovetail to Weaver adapter. That may be just the ticket. Thanks for the idea.

Edit: I just googled it and all I see are rimfire dovetail to Weaver adapters. I couldn't find and 3/8 rifle sight dovetail to Weaver mounts.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
You have a very early No. 3. They didn't start D&T them for scope bases until the mid-1970's, as I recall.
Unless the rifle is in pristine condition, the fact that it's early and not D&T'd will not add much if any value to it.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
If I owned that rifle I would have a gunsmith re-barrel it with a 32" heavy weight barrel keeping it chambered for 45-70. Add sights of course. Kind of a dream of mine. Then later do a real nice stock and forearm.

pete44ru

Hunter

I would call Ruger CS to find out which #1 rib would fit the #3 barrel contour (probably the rib for a .45-70 #1S) & have it fitted to your #3.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
They used to a long time ago, but that's all gone for the most part, except for things like rings and some non-lethal accessories :wink:

They certainly won't agree to putting a No. 1 rib on a No. 3 (and I doubt you'll reach anyone who knows what rib would fit anyway, and if they did, they wouldn't tell you)

pete44ru

Hunter

FWIW, I've fitted Ruger #1 quarter ribs to barrel contours they wouldn't fit at first.

Besides matching the barrel contour, it's important to keep the top of the rib parallel to the bore line for E-Z-Peazy zeroing.

Brownell's carries/sells a quarter rib for a .45-70 #1 rifle, IMO your best bet:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-parts/sight-scope-ribs/sight-qt-rib-black-sku780000446-11404-28067.aspx?rrec=true
p_780000446_2.jpg

The quarter rib isn't at all what I'm looking for. I'd still have to drill and tap the barrel so why not just add a set of much better looking scope mounts? I guess if one wanted to keep it looking like a #1 it would be ok.