Finally got a PPC 9mm carbine coming.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well, after a 7 month wait, I finally have a 9mm PPC enroute. It should be here Monday. I'm going to set it up for Glock magazines from the get go. I've been holding 2 Magpul 21 round magazines since early this year for this event. I got them out and loaded them this afternoon and boy do they have stout springs. Hopefully they will become easier to load after a break in period. I am not a stranger to loading magazines either. One afternoon when I was assigned to the firearms training unit with the LSP, I loaded 72 G17 mags and 36 MP-5 magazines for a demonstration shoot the next day. Does anybody have any experience with the 21 round Magpul mags? Bob!! :D

BABore

Bearcat
Have six of them. They're all I've used in my PC Carbine. No issues. Get one of Magula (sp?) magazine loaders. Makes loading mags fast and easy.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Well I received my PCC as expected. It took me less than a minute to change out the Ruger to Glock mag adapter. Thanks for the info on the mag loader. I'll get one with my next order to Sports South. I just have to decide on which color. Bob! :D

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Bob, and others, what magazines do you prefer in your PC9's. I see you mentioned the Magpul but not the high capacity Glock. I am considering getting one of these carbines and would like some input on magazines so I can start looking for them.
Does the PC9 take any Glock 17 or 19 magazine?
Thanks.

9x19

Hunter
I don't have the new Ruger, but I do use Magpul's 21rd magazines with my other 9mm carbines.

I haven't had any issues with them. I don't care for the 33rd Glock OEM magazines, they are simply too long for my uses. All of my standard Glock magazines (for the carbines) have +2 or +3 base-plates with Wolf extra power springs. 20 rounds per mag is plenty for my uses.

Good luck.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
9x19 said:
I don't care for the 33rd Glock OEM magazines, they are simply too long for my uses.
I shoot Steel Challenge with my Ruger PCC and the 33-round Glock magazines are ideal for that game. Each stage requires a minimum of 25 rounds and more if you miss. Those Glock mags let me shoot an entire stage with out reloading as they hold the required 25 rounds plus enough extras to cover the (hopefully) occasional miss.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I did not mention it before, but Glock now has a factory 24 round magazine, if one can find any. My usual sources don't have any listed or in stock. Midway has them listed, but coming soon when last I looked. Gunmagwarehouse.com has the 24 rounders listed and in stock @ $34 each. Bob!! :D

triton186

Bearcat
rangerbob said:
Thanks for the info on the mag loader. I'll get one with my next order to Sports South. I just have to decide on which color. Bob! :D

i got the "lemon" color. i have a black range bag and a couple of the indoor ranges i shoot at are very well lit. the black mag loader easily gets lost in the black bag in less than ideal light conditions. the lemon color is easily found when i need it.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I finally ordered 5 more MagPul 21 round mags from Midway last evening with free shipping. I added a factory Glock mag loader for $3.99. I should be set when these arrive. I shoot a lot of the WW forged steel cased ammo which comes in 150 count boxes. Seven 21 round mags should hold 147 rounds with 3 loose in my pocket to put in the chamber. Bob!! :mrgreen:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I received my other 5 MagPul 21 round magazines on Saturday, along with the Glock loading tool. The loading tool makes loading the magazines a snap. I ordered a AR-Stoner 9mm 1/2x28 flash hider from Midway, mainly because it has a black nitrite finish and should match the carbine well. My foot continues to heal and hopefully I'll be able to run those 7 magazines full of ammo through the PPC soon. Bob! :D

m657

Buckeye
re: Glock Mags in PC9

is it normal for fair amount of 'muzzleward-stock buttward' movement in the 17 round Glock mags? The insertion seems solid & properly fit at the actual magazine mouth.

Re: 33 round mags: over the years I've tried a 1/2 dozen of them factory long sticks. Even if brand new, it isn't long before whatever one I'm using glitches out with a bum feed cycle.

Never happens on other Glock mags. I just quit buying them & traded off the ones I had.

m657

Buckeye
update on 'extra forward/backward' magazine movement:

took the NEW PC9 to the range; of 2 (Glock) magazines, one simply would. not. feed. 2. in. a. row. The bolt would stop about 1/2 way into forward motion & jam. It would require rocking the magazine, bolt would slide forward, fire the carbine. Then do it again. All the way thru 2 full loads in same magazine.

Second magazine would fire several in a row, then require the rocking to release trapped bolt.

Other than the magazines, the firearm functioned well.

The LGS owner had installed the OEM Glock magazine well prior to my picking it up. Perhaps something was out of adjustment. He said everybody that buys a PC9 seems to prefer the Glock set up.

Disappointment, unable to use in pending steel challenge, yet it needs something.

In any case he took it back for 'evaluation'.

Any one else have 'magazine feed issues'???

rangerbob

Buckeye
I received an E-mail from Williams shooters Supply this morning showing just arrived merchandise. They received 322 Ruger #19100 9mm carbines as well as some of the restricted models. If anyone's looking have your local FFL order one while they are available. Now if I could just find some Remington 870 DM magazines. Bob!! :D