Ruger GSR barrel thread protector

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alaska Glen

Bearcat
I've been shooting, seasoning and sighting in my GSR and like it a lot.

However, I'd like to hunt with it but the dang thing is so loud with the recoil muzzle break, I'm afraid to do so. Ear protection while hunting or just before the shop is an option.

Recoil doesn't really bother me as much as that horrible muzzle blast/noise. For bench shooting I use foam ear plugs and head phones.

I am thinking of taking the muzzle break off and was wondering if Ruger has a thread protector for this rifle I could put on AND if any of you have comments on the blast and recoil of this sweet .308 rifle. Also, if you have suggestions links etc. as to where to purchase a screw on thread protector after I get the brake off, that'd be great.

Thanks!

9x19

Hunter
Brownells sells a number of thread protectors...

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=thread+protector&ksubmit=y

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The .308 Scout rifle barrel is threaded the very common 5/8"-24 and many suppliers (Midway, Brownells, etc.) sell thread protectors in this size.

ShopRuger' web site offers a .30 cal thread protector but the says it's threaded 1/2"-24. This has to be a typo.

gunzo

Hunter
Amazon & Ebay have truck loads of them.

I think you'll need a 5/8-24. I hope Ruger didn't thread a 308 @ 1/2", you might want to confirm.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
gunzo said:

I think you'll need a 5/8-24. I hope Ruger didn't thread a 308 @ 1/2", you might want to confirm.
Ruger's web site shows the .308 Gunsite rifle as threaded 5/8"-24 so that's the thread protector the OP needs. As I noted above, the ShopRuger listing has to be a typo.

I've never seen a .30 caliber rifle threaded 1/2" but, oddly, many 9 mm pistol caliber carbines are threaded 1/2"-28 which is the standard for .223/5.56 and .22lr barrels. If you buy a muzzle brake or flash supressor for a 9 mm carbine you better be certain it has a 9 mm hole, not a .22 caliber hole!

Alaska Glen

Bearcat
Thanks everyone. I'll order the one from Brownells.

Has anyone ever fired the RGSR w/o a muzzle break? Is it loud too? Thanks! Glen

rangerbob

Buckeye
My Scout has a flash hider, not a muzzle brake, although I do believe that some of the Scouts may have muzzle breaks. Bob! 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
Several friends have the https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Compensator-p/kvp-linear-blk.htm JCP linear muzzle brake. It actually decreases muzzle blast and noise substantially! It very slightly increases recoil-although many folks think recoil is reduced due to the decrease in muzzle blast and sound. Cost is around $60.

Another trac to try is to use modern hearing protection. Many amplify ambient sound up to 4x or more and when they detect a loud sound render it quiet. MSA among others has them; not inexpensive for one's that do the job and they require batteries. They cost around $200.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
gunzo said:

I posted above that I thought the .30 caliber Ruger thread protector listed in ShopRuger as 1/2-24 was a typo so I sent them an e-mail pointing this out.

It turns out their Guide Guns in .30-06 and .300 Win Magnum are indeed threaded 1/2-24 and their ShopRuger listing is correct. However, those are their only guns threaded that way. The .308 Gunsite Scout is indeed threaded 5/8"-24.

gunzo

Hunter
I was just cautioning the OP to check so he could get the correct one for his scout. 8)

"Yikes" :shock: on the 1/2" thread on the Guide guns, that makes for thin barrel wall thickness at the muzzle.
I know your not supposed to drop or throw your gun around, but if it gets a hard lick on the end, things will go wrong.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
gunzo said:
"Yikes" :shock: on the 1/2" thread on the Guide guns, that makes for thin barrel wall thickness at the muzzle.
I know your not supposed to drop or throw your gun around, but if it gets a hard lick on the end, things will go wrong.
It gets worse. There are many 1/2"-28 threaded muzzle brakes and flash hiders made for 9 mm barrels. The Ruger 9 mm PC Carbine has 1/2"-28 threads.

As noted it makes for a very thin wall thickness at the muzzle to the point that you have to be very careful "clocking" a muzzle brake. You can't just use brute force on the installing wrench while compressing the crush washer. You have to use shims, peel washers or a crush washer sanded down until only modest torque aligns the brake.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
grobin said:
Several friends have the https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/KVP-Linear-Compensator-p/kvp-linear-blk.htm JCP linear muzzle brake. It actually decreases muzzle blast and noise substantially! It very slightly increases recoil-although many folks think recoil is reduced due to the decrease in muzzle blast and sound. Cost is around $60.

I like the concept. I'll try one

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I'm not certain the NFA tax and federal registry is within the OPs query, although it is one extreme option. I find the KAW model more appealing for pocket money and immediate ownership factors.

langenc

Single-Sixer
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=2I thought the 1/2" thread protectors are for the 22 barrels.

My 25/45 Sharps has the larger.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
My Scout Rifle has the flash hider, and it is not obnoxiously loud like a muzzle break can be. I had an Armalite AR-10 16" .308 carbine with a muzzle break and it was horrible to shoot. Anyone around you would cover their ears, even with ear protection on. And, it threw back muzzle blast toward the shooter, blowing dust and debris every where. Chamber was too tight as well, a few shots and the rifle would not extract brass because of all the dirt in the chamber. That rifle went down the road, and I have avoided muzzle breaks ever since.

mjh

Single-Sixer
My GSR came with the muzzle break on and a thread protector in the box. Was not too excited about the thread protector so I bought the Ruger flash hider. We'll see how I like it, it was an inexpensive change. Might look at a linear competitor down the road. Not likely going the suppressor route any time soon.

Alaska Glen

Bearcat
I did find a thread protector and have taken off the muzzle brake/flash suppressor and added it. The after market one I purchased through Brownells was not as loud.

Now I will test the 16.5" barrel in .308 caliber for accuracy sans the recoil reducers and with only the thread protector installed.

Any comments on accuracy and noise from those that did something similar? Ultimately I intend to hunt with this gun. It is so far quite accurate. Thanks!