AR-556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

98PK

Bearcat
Shot one the other day. Worked well, doesn't have that weird A2 pointy thing in the front of the grip. Felt pretty good, but it was brand new. After a few trips to the range, it'll be even better. I want to get a Weaver Extreme 1- 4.5x scope. That and a Turner All Weather and it's business as usual!

DGW1949

Hunter
I saw a guy shooting one at my local range a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to run fine. There's really not much else to say, eh?

DGW

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
When your name is RUGER and put on a firearm, it makes it even better. Usually, no worries. I just thought members here would talk about how they have modded theirs out. Ah well, I guess I'm the only one that has.

9k56gz.jpg

akbluz

Blackhawk
I had mine out this past week and ran another 100 reloads through it. I rang the steel at 100yds consistently with my 72y/o eyes so I'm happy with it. This is my first AR and I'm keeping it just as it was when new. Plus my 12y/o grandson loves it - so I know it'll have a good home down the road.

Single-Sixer
The first thing that went down the road on mine was the handguard, replaced with a magpul unit with a heat shield. While I was at it, the stock was replaced by magpul furniture also. Other than that, it was cleaned, lubed, and of course, broke-in, then placed in a soft case and hidden as best I could in my vehicle for a worst-case scenario. The KISS principle applies so just the flip up sights and some Magpul mags accompany it. That's about it.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
021 said:
The first thing that went down the road on mine was the handguard, replaced with a magpul unit with a heat shield. While I was at it, the stock was replaced by magpul furniture also. Other than that, it was cleaned, lubed, and of course, broke-in, then placed in a soft case and hidden as best I could in my vehicle for a worst-case scenario. The KISS principle applies so just the flip up sights and some Magpul mags accompany it. That's about it.
Sounds like your AR-556 looks like mine.
I bought a MBUS and replaced the factory Ruger one. I wanted double aperture like I had in the military. I also replaced the factory BCG with a TOOLCRAFT auto BCG. Makes it shoot/function a lot better. I use TC BCG's in all of my AR builds.
That MPR looks like a great deal. It's on my future AR radar.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
All I've done is add a scope to get it ready for Schutzen matches.
Not sighted in yet for 200 yards, but it's good at 50 yards so far.
I can never remember how to add a picture, so here's a link to it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AioFzf3aw6JEiDCwdhjNmnGO4rRa

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
rugerguy211 said:
All I've done is add a scope to get it ready for Schutzen matches.
Not sighted in yet for 200 yards, but it's good at 50 yards so far.
I can never remember how to add a picture, so here's a link to it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AioFzf3aw6JEiDCwdhjNmnGO4rRa
Here you geaux;

2ikbfxd.jpg

gunzo

Hunter
So, rugernut. It seems your AR consist of more aftermarket parts than factory parts. Does it need anything else replaced?

kmckinnon

Bearcat
I have a NIB Ruger MPR that I have added flip up sights and a red dot to. I am hoping to get it to the range to zero those sights in the next couple weeks. I'll post again with results once that happens.

Ruger Nut said:
Doesn't anyone still talk about the AR-556 around here?

As a matter of fact I was joined by WAYNO at the range today. He had a couple of nice rifles to shoot and I had my AR556. Shooting at 100yds I was able to group "minute of grapefruit" using my elbows for a rest and using open sights and bulk 55gr ammo. Nothing to complain about here.....

Dave

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Big box store near here did a sale last week for $489 all you want.

I might have a use for another AR-pattern gun, but personally, not really.

hittman

Staff member
Lord knows I didn't need another AR-556 but I ended up with one still unfired and new in the box for under $500 OTD.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
Why is scope so high?

I wanted to still use the iron sights at 50 yards.
The scope has not yet been sighted in, but it will be used for 200 yards, off hand.
The high mount allows the same holding position as my .22's at 200 yards.
I won't know for sure if it will work as planned until it's sighted in. :)

kmckinnon

Bearcat
kmckinnon said:
I have a NIB Ruger MPR that I have added flip up sights and a red dot to. I am hoping to get it to the range to zero those sights in the next couple weeks. I'll post again with results once that happens.

Got to the range and boy am I rusty! I was able to zero the MBUS and RDS at 25 yards. I'll move to 50 yards my next trip. The MPR functioned flawlessly without a single problem using Cheap Federal Eagle 5.56 ammo. No failures of any kind and the bolt locked back on every empty magazine (a problem I've seen reported).