Ruger Number 1 Sight Options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
The last Number 1 I purchased was a 1S in .35 Whelen. I have been thinking about putting a peep sight on it, perhaps a Skinner. Have any of you tried this sight on your Number 1 and if so, what was your solution for the original rear sight? Are there any other peep sight options you would suggest?
Thanks,
Don

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I have the same rifle (35 Wh). Have you shot yours yet? In fact I have two - a really nice wood 35Wh No.1S medium (24" bbl) became available after I had already purchased a NIB same rifle with rather plain wood, and well,.... I really like 35 caliber!

RJ556

Buckeye
I scabbed a modified X/S Weaver back-up sight to a modified Burris Ruger to Weaver adapter. The last 3 pic's are of a KRSI in 7x57 that I also made the same sight for. It installs in a couple of seconds. Always goes back to zero. I did have to install a higher front sight blade. RJ

Joe S.

Hunter
I was thinking about this today.

I wonder how a Gunsite Scout peep sight would work.

Edited to add: looking at the pic, it is a pretty tall sight...

Joe S.

Hunter
Looking at the NECG sight, it looks to me like the body of the sight would obstruct sight picture. Do you guys using this sight notice that?

RJ556

Buckeye
I definitely noticed the NECG blocking the view of the target. I sold mine and started using nothing but X/S ghost ring rear sights. I have killed a considerable amount of deer and hogs with my X/S ghost ring sighted rifles. I started using them when Ashley Emerson started the company, before he sold it to X/S. They are best quality sights. RJ

rangerbob

Buckeye
A scout rifle rear sight assembly will mount anywhere one can attach a Ruger scope ring. However, one will have to drill and tap one hole in the bottom of the ring attaching groove for the attaching screw. Bob! :wink:

RJ556

Buckeye
That's the kicker, drilling that hole. If you go there, you better have it done professionally, unless you have experience at it. I've done half a dozen or so for X/S sights. Solid carbide drill bits are your friend. RJ

Joe S.

Hunter
What XS sight do you use for the #1?

I wish Skinner would make a peep that replicates the scope rail for a #1, rather than attaches to it.

Take rail off, bolt the sight in place.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Shame on you, Joe. You know Mr. Bill calls that a quarter rib, rails is what trains run on. Bob!! :mrgreen:

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
I have both the NECG and the Skinner on Ruger rifles. Both are excellent. The Skinner is elegant and sleek, but required a taller front sight. The NECG is robust and easier to zero, but bulky. Both are a fantastic iron sights upgrade and make near to mid range shots much easier.

Latest posts