#1 in .348 Winchester?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smith1961

Blackhawk
In the December 17 issue of Rifle's Handloader, R.H. Vandenberg Jr wrote about the .348 Winchester.
He claimed to have been told that Ruger once chambered the #1 in .348 Winchester. I have a Browning 71 and this is supposed to have been the only rifle ever chambered in that caliber (Beside the original Winchester M71's) Sounds like a mythical beast to me.

wunbe

Buckeye
The "friends of Bill" often got '1-ofs' from the factory and there may even have been a prototype or three but no run was ever made AFAIK.

Nor will ever be... given the realities of low demand, the better option of the familiar 45-70, and scarce to nonexistent commercial ammo availability.

That is a dead horse if ever there was one.

wunbe

grobin

Blackhawk
When I was in Alaska in the '60s I remember meeting an aleut guide that used a model 71 as a backup gun. It was a weird top ejector and dieing even then although popular with some of the Alaska hunters. You could definitely chamber a No 1 for it easily, but why? There are lots of modern cartridges that are superior and while brass and bullets are available a quick check doesn't turn up any factory loads.

Single-Sixer
grobin said:
When I was in Alaska in the '60s I remember meeting an aleut guide that used a model 71 as a backup gun. It was a weird top ejector and dieing even then although popular with some of the Alaska hunters. You could definitely chamber a No 1 for it easily, but why? There are lots of modern cartridges that are superior and while brass and bullets are available a quick check doesn't turn up any factory loads.

Many of us #1 collectors aren't necessarily interested in new cartridges. A big old cigar like the 300 H and H or a 450/400 NE are classics in the #1, I think the 348 would be too. Lots of us geezers with model 71's would love a companion piece to go along with our Winchesters, I bet a run of 250 would be gone pronto, especially if they put good lumber on them. But, alas, Wunbe is probably right, it's a pipe dream. Well, I can dream...….

wunbe

Buckeye
If you really want one it is achievable w/o waiting for and begging Ruger.

Have a #1 rebarreled or, less expensively, rebored and rechambered. ( Al Siegrist in MI is a master at the latter.)

I have had a dozen or so done to my requirements over the years -- including custom rifles in 6.8 spc II, 9.3x62, 338-06, 257 Roberts AI, 338 Federal, .338 Federal, .41mag, and a .35 Whelen in a 1S profile (the way Ruger should have made them.).

wunbe

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I had an Atkinson barrel mounted on a No. 3 back in the 80's. It was 19" and shot like a dream. As a self-recognized fool, I traded it away...

Actually Cimarron retailed over 600 Uberti-made 1885-pattern single-shots (I have one) in 348 Winchester, so anyone who repeats the "M71 is the ONLY..." line is factually under-informed.

Favorite Adirondack bear cartridge/rifle, the M71. I own & shoot a couple still.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Mohavesam--

In addition, C Sharps Arms not long ago offered the 348wcf in its 1885, 1875 and 1874 single shot rifles. They are pretty much a custom order shop but I am sure some went out the door!

Hornady recently added a 348 flex tip bullet as well as 348 brass casings to its line. I wish they would produce some actual ammo since they make and sell all the components.

Ron

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Sometimes.........the big issue with new calibers for the #1(in this case the 250 Savage) was the lack of available proof level ammunition, I was told by the CHQ Marketing Director. Eventually that was remedied and the 250 pc. run of Lipsey's SS #1A 250 Savages occurred.

smith1961

Blackhawk
wunbe said:
Have a #1 rebarreled or, less expensively, rebored and rechambered. ( Al Siegrist in MI is a master at the latter)

mohavesam said:
Actually Cimarron retailed over 600 Uberti-made 1885-pattern single-shots (I have one) in 348 Winchester, so anyone who repeats the "M71 is the ONLY..." line is factually under-informed.
Favorite Adirondack bear cartridge/rifle, the M71. I own & shoot a couple still.

trapperon said:
Mohavesam--

In addition, C Sharps Arms not long ago offered the 348wcf in its 1885, 1875 and 1874 single shot rifles. They are pretty much a custom order shop but I am sure some went out the door!
Hornady recently added a 348 flex tip bullet as well as 348 brass casings to its line. I wish they would produce some actual ammo since they make and sell all the components.

Ron

Wow! are you guys full of good intel! Thanks :D
BTW I scored 50 pieces of new Winchester brass from Tom Black, and picked up another 50 rounds of the Winchester 200gr factory silver tips from the late 80's so thats a start!

g5m

Blackhawk
Regarding the brass, I wonder if Starline would do a run of 348 brass if enough people asked for it.

Single-Sixer
HAWKEYE#28 said:
"Whisper" to Jason Cloesner at Lipsey's.......... 8)

Well, that's already been done. We can keep trying. Jason, while you're at it how about a 23" barrel in a 1S, never been done that I know of, either. Would make it even more unique.

trapperon

Blackhawk
I really like the 23 inch suggestion! So blued/walnut 1S 23 inch 348WCF. About perfect!
I hope Jason can do it. He has never said "no" to me on this just "dont rule it out"

And I just picked up 400 hornady 200gr flat points in a local auction so I am ready to feed said rifle!!

Ron

Single-Sixer
trapperon said:
I really like the 23 inch suggestion! So blued/walnut 1S 23 inch 348WCF. About perfect!
I hope Jason can do it. He has never said "no" to me on this just "dont rule it out"

And I just picked up 400 hornady 200gr flat points in a local auction so I am ready to feed said rifle!!

Ron

I have 27 Ruger No. 1's, but if they made that one with nice timber on it, it would be my dream rifle and I would have to have one......more...…..or...…. 2 ..…..

Single-Sixer
OH yes Jason, case hardened (like the hornet) with a RED PAD while we are dreaming. Maybe he's listening.....The No. 1 is, after all, a dream rifle.