Shotguns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
First, you need to accurately define "affordable"..... in some cases, anything more than a $150 single shot is not considered "affordable. For most bird hunters, something around $300 - $400 is "affordable", whereas serious target shooters would start somewhere around $2,000. In any case, breaking into one of these markets is a tall order, as there are already a couple well-established products in each category. In order to make a go of it, you would need to offer an improvement over the existing product and meet or beat their price.... an uphill battle when their manufacturing is established, and you're starting from scratch.

The Red Label probably failed because it never took off with the trap, skeet, and sporting clays crowd. Some loved it, but most hated it. Priced as it was, it never had a chance when competing for the bottom of the market with the Turkish and Russian guns of the time, even though it was a better gun. A little more refinement toward making it a target gun, even at a little higher price, and it may have survived. I dunno.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Remington and Mossberg have taken the pump shotgun about as far as one can go, scores of models and this year detachable magazines. Remington, Winchester/Browning, and the imports pretty well have the auto loader market sewed up for sporting guns. There is just not a lot of territory for Ruger to cover. Of course, they entered the revolver, auto pistol, and rifle market and kicked butt. They need to concentrate on making my 41 Magnum GP-100, it's only 1/100 inch bigger than the 10mm. Bob!!! :mrgreen:

wwb

Hunter
Buckeye Bill said:
I would like to see a pump action field gun with a unique design come from Ruger...........

Remington offers the 870 Wingmaster in right and left hand models, the express in 3" and 3-1/2" and dozens of variations of lipstick on a pig, Mossberg offers about a bazillion variations on their basic pump, the BPS is bottom eject (right hand/left hand friendly). The old Ithaca 37 also was bottom eject, not sure if they're still available new. Pricey, but the all-time great, the Winchester Model 12 can be had on the used market..... what's left in terms of "unique"?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
wwb said:
Buckeye Bill said:
I would like to see a pump action field gun with a unique design come from Ruger...........

Remington offers the 870 Wingmaster in right and left hand models, the express in 3" and 3-1/2" and dozens of variations of lipstick on a pig, Mossberg offers about a bazillion variations on their basic pump, the BPS is bottom eject (right hand/left hand friendly). The old Ithaca 37 also was bottom eject, not sure if they're still available new. Pricey, but the all-time great, the Winchester Model 12 can be had on the used market..... what's left in terms of "unique"?

The AA-12. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8

It would be tough for Ruger to effectively compete against the 870, the simplest and best shotgun ever made. The 870 is made in Trap Grade and Field Grade Wingmaster models all the way down to the department store-priced Express. I don't know how Ruger could better the best, either in performance or price.

jjas

Single-Sixer
If Ruger were to get back into the shotgun market, the only way thing I could see them offering would be a semi-auto and I don't know if there is a enough meat left on that bone for Ruger to even bother with it...

jjas said:
If Ruger were to get back into the shotgun market, the only way thing I could see them offering would be a semi-auto and I don't know if there is a enough meat left on that bone for Ruger to even bother with it...
Sure, how about one in the $300-400 dollar range. They brought out an AR design with all the competition. Keltec brought out the KSG, but slapped a high price on it, and it is a pump instead of a semi auto.
gramps

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
gramps said:
jjas said:
Sure, how about one in the $300-400 dollar range. They brought out an AR design with all the competition. Keltec brought out the KSG, but slapped a high price on it, and it is a pump instead of a semi auto.
gramps

Companies don't usually do well if they get away from their core competency. Not just in the technology, marketing, etc., but also because it dilutes their reputation that they've spent a great deal of time developing and securing. A company's reputation is their most valuable asset. Rugers is revolvers in particular and handguns generally.

I've seen it happen. As an example, that I'm intimately familiar with, most people think of Boeing as an airplane company because that is what they sell. Boeing is in reality an Engineering company, and one of (if not the) worlds best, and that is their core competency. What they sell (be it commercial jets, boats, defense items, or potatos) exists only to maintain that core competency. And yes, Boeing has sold potatoes and boats during their history. :)

grobin

Blackhawk
First off the table is full. There is no category of shotgun that is not pretty well saturated. There is even a 7 shot lever action out there. Building a reasonably omnivorous shotgun isn't that easy or cheap. Yes there is the Black Eagle but that's a $2k gun. The only shotgun that will feed all ammunition is a single or double break gun and those go from $150 to $9,000. The KSG has come down in price and is pretty good for some special situations. Mossberg and Winchester both have magazine fed pumps and IMI has a bullpup semi auto based on the TAVOR. I don't see a niche in the shotgun world that needs filling.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
I generally like Ruger products, I hope they continue or improve their already fine products. I am reminded of an old saying, "Jack of all trades but a master of none."

tinman

Buckeye
PAShooter said:
I generally like Ruger products, I hope they continue or improve their already fine products. I am reminded of an old saying, "Jack of all trades but a master of none."

Well said.......... :idea: