WT, Good news, ? PC9 PICTURES ADDED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I have a PC Carbine which I really like after except for the sights. The sights are the WT portion of this post. The peep sight in the forward position may be OK for younger eyes but just not for me. But really what was Ruger thinking when they decided to put them there. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the original PC9s with the rear peep sights are the ones people prefer and look for. To me the GSR rear sight would have been the perfect rear sight for this gun.
Anyway soon after I got my PC I started looking for a way to put a peep sight on the rear. After a little looking I found this.

Leapers Mnt-910 Sub-compact Rear Sight for Shotguns Matte Black

Sorry I can't post a link my computer search engine got high jacked and no longer show links so just search for this on the leapers / utg web sight or Ebay
For $20 I thought I would try it. After I got it and put it on I was pretty sure it was going to be too high. So I took it apart did a little thinning and slight bending of the internal plate that allows for the elevation adjustment. If you decide to try this be advised there are some little springs and pins inside but if my 65 yr old eyes and fumble fingers can do it you prob. can to.
Anyway I got to the range this morning and to my surprise I put 25 rounds into about a 1 1/2" group 2" high and 1" to the left at 50". This is the good news part of my post.
Now for the question part. My first thought was Damn still need to get it a lower but after further reflection began to think that 2" high at 50 feet might be about dead on at 50 yards which is what I was planning to sight it in for. I will know better when I can get it to the rifle range. So until I can I'm asking for your thoughts on that part.
Sorry I can't post pictures at this time but if anyone here would like to volunteer I would be happy to text pictures picture's to someone who can post them here. Just PM me your PH# number.

JFB

Hunter
this is something I have online, can't remember what bullet thought
UFpWwGA.jpg

my line is with a scope 1 1/2" above bore and first zero at 15 yards

I would think your 2" high at 17 yards is going to be WAY high at 50 yards

BTW, what is the height of the front sight above the center of the bore?

9x19

Hunter
I have one of these in my parts bin, used it in the past with good results, it might work well on the new PCC.

http://eagleeyeoutdoor.com/xs-sight-systems-xs-gra-ghost-ring-aperture-low-weaver-backup-rear-sight-black-wb-2000n-l/

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
9x19 said:
I have one of these in my parts bin, used it in the past with good results, it might work well on the new PCC.

http://eagleeyeoutdoor.com/xs-sight-systems-xs-gra-ghost-ring-aperture-low-weaver-backup-rear-sight-black-wb-2000n-l/
Good Day,
That sight looks like it might just be low enough; however, I took all my stock extenders off my carbine and I can easily get close enough to see through the rear sight. For those that use a receiver mounted sight, remove and replace the barrel assembly a few times and let us know how well the sights and point of impact line up. TIA
Best,
Rob

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
JFB said:
my line is with a scope 1 1/2" above bore and first zero at 15 yards
That red line doesn't make sense to me. If your scope is 1.5" above the bore the line should start at zero and go up to 1.5" at 15 yards and then continue up for a while before arching down at say 50 yards.

98PK

Bearcat
Two inches high at 25yds is a bit higher at 50yds- not too bad at a hundred though. I have trouble with any kind of open sights. They tell me to get a little scope. I think it would be kind of cool. Fun carbine to shoot. Fired it w GLOCK mags yesterday. Worked well.

JFB

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
That red line doesn't make sense to me.

I have found the traditional graphic ballistic reperesentation confussing, with the line of site level and the barrel pointing up, so the bullets path a rainbow...

SO, i plot the ballistic drop (blue curve) with the barrel "level" and now my line of site (red line) will be angled down. Using the same ballistic drop, I can easliy reposition the red line and immediately see the two zeros and hi/lo deviations at all ranges.

the red line with scope 1.5 and first zero at 15 yards means the scope is adjusted for 9.5MOA
that has about 1.5 high at 40 yards, second zero about 70 yards and 1.5 low around 85 yards.

edit. I schewed the graph to make line of sight level as with the tradtional ballistic graph and making the bullet path a rainbow.
while at it, I added a sights about 1/2" above the bore and 2" high at 17 yards. I would expect second zero out past 100 yards
1yYrxv7.png

bentblade

Single-Sixer
First off thanks for all your help. Unfortunately I am more confused than before. I was looking at a 9mm ballistic chart yesterday that I interpreted to show a trajectory of about 1" high at 15 yards would be dead on at 25 and 2" inches low at 50 and 12 inches low at 100 yards. My guess/hope was that I would be a little high at 25 and close to point of aim at 50. Guess I'm going to have to get to the range and try my luck at 50 Yards and get back to you.

JFB

Hunter
Sorry,

Also I can't recall what ammo I used for chart, comparison to your info, my chart is for a faster round
But I was for my Marlin Camp 9 16"bbl and I only have military ball

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Well you were right. I got back to the range and was hitting about 9" high at 50 yards. The good news is I went home did some filing and bending and I am now shooting to point of aim at 50 yards. I got the aperture so low that I had to file a channel in the top of the sight body so as not to block the sight picture. The problem I have now is that the top of elevation screw is in my line of sight but I think I am going to be able to thin the screw to correct that problem.

What picture host are most of you using? I will try to post some pictures when I find out what is the best option for this forum.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
bentblade said:
What picture host are most of you using? I will try to post some pictures when I find out what is the best option for this forum.
If you right click on any picture on the forum and then click 'properties' you can see where the picture is hosted. I don't think there is any one favorite site like 'photobucket' anymore.

bentblade said:

I've been using https://postimages.org since photo bucket went to hell... works great except about once every month or so I have to log back in and finally figured out I have to clear the history in my web browser before I can. Probably just a problem with my Apple Safari program.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Lets see if this works. If it does I'll post some more later.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/13773118/24813137/413956933.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/13773118/24813137/413956931.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/13773118/24813137/413956932.jpg

Guess that worked OK so I will take some more pictures and post them later. I need to take the sight apart clean up the groove I put down the top and refinish, also need to make some longer pins and I will show them also.
The sight is bottomed out. I really don't think I can get it any lower. The good news is that I had no trouble popping golf balls at 25 yards. Just put the ball on top of the front sight post and away they go.
Someone posted a link to the scope base a couple of weeks ago so I got one really just to cover the empty spot where the front sigh was. I put the Bushnell red dot on just to see how it would works. The red dot does co witness with the sights. I will probably take this one off because my old eyes don't like them. Anyway here is the link again
https://taccom3g.com/product/ruger-pc-carbine-rear-optic-sight-mount/

9x19

Hunter
bentblade said:
Lets see if this works. If it does I'll post some more later.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/13773118/24813137/413956933.jpg

413956931.jpg

413956932.jpg

Guess that worked OK so I will take some more pictures and post them later. I need to take the sight apart clean up the groove I put down the top and refinish, also need to make some longer pins and I will show them also.
The sight is bottomed out. I really don't think I can get it any lower. The good news is that I had no trouble popping golf balls at 25 yards. Just put the ball on top of the front sight post and away they go.
Someone posted a link to the scope base a couple of weeks ago so I got one really just to cover the empty spot where the front sigh was. I put the Bushnell red dot on just to see how it would works. The red dot does co witness with the sights. I will probably take this one off because my old eyes don't like them. Anyway here is the link again
https://taccom3g.com/product/ruger-pc-carbine-rear-optic-sight-mount/

Just added img tags for your pics.