Does this new brake make my PC9 look fat?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikein

Single-Sixer
Be honest, now! :)

413903835.jpg

mikein

Single-Sixer
gunman42782 said:
Looks almost as big as a suppressor!

It's called an XL Linear Compensator. It is supposed to direct the muzzle blast forward, away from the shooter and bystanders. It is reportedly helpful in controlling muzzle rise, by making the recoil tend to go back, into the shoulder of the shooter, and therefore, (what they say) makes for quicker follow-up shots. With the low recoil of the 9mm carbine, I'm not sure it's going to have any real effect, but I thought I'd try one!

wagon

Single-Sixer
since you ask for an honest feedback ... : If I were to buy a KVP comp for the PCC, I'd choose the "slim" version.

mikein

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the honest feedback, wagon; I really like my XL Compensator, but to each his own!

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to tame the bone crushing recoil of that powerful round :p :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mikein said:
gunman42782 said:

It's called an XL Linear Compensator. It is supposed to direct the muzzle blast forward, away from the shooter and bystanders. It is reportedly helpful in controlling muzzle rise, by making the recoil tend to go back, into the shoulder of the shooter, and therefore, (what they say) makes for quicker follow-up shots. With the low recoil of the 9mm carbine, I'm not sure it's going to have any real effect, but I thought I'd try one!
...a brake that makes the blast go forward is going to reduce recoil??? What am I missing? :D

mikein

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
mikein said:
gunman42782 said:

...a brake that makes the blast go forward is going to reduce recoil??? What am I missing? :D

I don't know anything about the science of recoil. The XL Linear Compensator folks claimed it reduced felt recoil. I can verify from personal experience and the experience my son had when he shot it that we noticed a reduction in the felt recoil. We also noticed that it seemed quieter, but that may be because the blast (and noise) was pushed away from the shooter.

mikein

Single-Sixer
That's the one I bought, and I experienced the advertised performance in sound reduction and felt recoil reduction. I don't understand the physics, but I know what I felt and heard!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

That thing is easily as attractive as the old Cutts Compensators installed on shotguns decades ago. "Corn cobs" was one term I heard used a few times. Better leave it there... ;)

Rick C

First, if it pleases you, then that's all that matters. :mrgreen:

Second, since you asked, FOR ME, I think it does look big and cumbersome, especially for a device that really doesn't do much. One of the features that makes this little carbine so desirable, is the short barrel. Adding a device that now adds to the overall length erases some of the carbines major benefit.

And that's perzactly why there are so many choices for guns and accessories. We've all got an idea of what works for us. :wink:

mikein

Single-Sixer
Understand, WAYNO! I got it because I was curious about what, if any effect it might have on the little carbine's felt recoil, sound suppression, or change of POI. It made no statistically significant change in any of those three categories, but I was able to scratch my itch about it. I've made a lot more expensive, useless purchases before this one, and I fear that I will continue down this path. . . Seems to be in my DNA when it comes to firearms and experimentation. :lol: :evil: