Gunsite and Guidegun Rear sight questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I'm looking at removing my guide guns rear express sight, anybody know if the whole apparatus just comes right off by removing screw?

I'm toying with the idea of putting the rear ghost from a gunsite scout on my guidegun, anybody know a part number for the thing?

Anybody tried it?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Ruger's owner's manual for the Gunsite Scout doesn't list a specific part number for the aperture rear sight assembly but only several individual parts, NOT including the sight housing. You would probably do better to call Ruger and try to buy the entire assembly as a unit.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I found where New England custom guns has a whole ghost unit but I'm now looking at Reflex sight. Its gonna be hard to take my 4x off, so I just don't know.

I get more enjoyment from very close shots these days and if my Reflex fails, I can snatch it off and use the express sights or slap a scope on real quick.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Buy a good (not $40) reflex sight and it will last forever on the Scout. Vortex Venoms and Leupold Deltapoint Pros work very well and are durable. They will survive slide mounting on a centerfire auto pistol so the rifle's recoil will be no problem.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I can't buy Vortex anything until they have been in business for another 100 years, even then, thats 106 years behind Leupold.

I was leaning toward the Burris FF3 and the ruger mount

This is a Guide gun not scout. The scout reference was trying to figure if their rear sight would work.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
So, how long has Burris been in business? The Vortex sights have developed an very good reputation, have a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I judge the evolution of scopes by their lack of weight. Leupolds are light and durable.

I don't use Burris anymore but Their FF3 looks purdy good

Many so called gunshops started pushing Vortex because they make the most profit from them. Vortex scopes remind me of some Chernobyl heavy metal Chinese/Russian collusion.