Received a Mini Today - idiot alert (me) see last message

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Yes sir I did. The bolt or op rod catches on something right before the bolt is supposed to turn. It takes quite a bit of effort pushing on the op rod to fully load it. I'll look at it tonight. I was just frustrated to have this happen because it doesn't seem like a break in issue. If I manually cycle a full magazine some rounds from the right side feed will not fully chamber.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Yup, Send it back with a detailed explanation of your failure modes.

They have made zillions of these rifles and will quickly make it function within spec.
- Hope you aren't trying foreign ammo, as the FM clearly states they will not adjust any Ruger rifle to use offshore stuff.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Well, I think the magazines are causing the problem. I'm down to only a 30 percent fail to chamber now after working them through the action a bunch of times. When the bolt stops before chambering it will go right in if I drop the magazine, as if it is caught up on the magazine. I have 4 magazines, all Ruger, that I will keep loaded up to break in the spring and continue to work them through the rifle to see if I can achieve reliability. So maybe she won't need to go back after all. At the range earlier it was 100 percent fail to chamber the first round on a full 20 round magazine.

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
Nope, I found the problem. The extractor isn't closing reliably and sometimes remains in the open position which causes it to jam in the chamber. This may relate to the grind marks I spoke about. So it is definitely going back.

DGW1949

Hunter
MikeAvery71 said:
Nope, I found the problem. The extractor isn't closing reliably and sometimes remains in the open position which causes it to jam in the chamber. This may relate to the grind marks I spoke about. So it is definitely going back.

Yes, it should go back.
The grinding you see done on the extractor and plunger is by no means "normal". My guess is that it was done in an attempt to cover up a different (underlying) problem, probably barrel related. The fact that the gun won't feed and eject correctly is just more reason to send it in.

And just so you'll know, you ain't the first guy who's experienced such a thing, and it's got nothing to do with the ammo being used.
Ruger should be embarrassed.

DGW

MikeAvery71

Bearcat
I had all 4 magazines loaded with 21 rounds. The idiot is me. I never even counted. Just loaded until full. Sorry for my ineptitude.