PC Carbine in .357/38

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wrp0wers

Bearcat
Is it just me or would others of you out there be interested in a PC Carbine chambered for .357. I'm a revolver guy and the ability to hunt using a caliber that's interchangeable between a handgun and a long gun would probably drive a purchase decision for PC carbine. You can take a deer with a .357 and two-legged predators with lighter .38 rounds. Thoughts anyone?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
wrp0wers said:
Is it just me or would others of you out there be interested in a PC Carbine chambered for .357.
Yep, definitely. ...but I doubt it will happen. Just look at the number of 9mm pistol shooters out there and you will see why I don't think it will happen. :D

grobin

Blackhawk
How about 10mm? I've got a 10mm Blackhawk 40/10 convertable. A PCC in 40/10 would be easier to load for and build. The 10mm pistols qualify for the very restrictive Colorado pistol hunting requirements (500ft# at 50 yards) although the PCC would not meet the rifle requirements of 1000ft# at 100 yards (apparently it would take a 460s&w or better. You'd still have the 40 mouse gun if you wanted.

DGW1949

Hunter
wrp0wers said:
Is it just me or would others of you out there be interested in a PC Carbine chambered for .357. I'm a revolver guy and the ability to hunt using a caliber that's interchangeable between a handgun and a long gun would probably drive a purchase decision for PC carbine. You can take a deer with a .357 and two-legged predators with lighter .38 rounds. Thoughts anyone?

Even if it could be made to work, what could it do that a lever gun in the same chambering don't already do?

DGW

22/45 Fan

Hunter
The real difficulty would be getting the rimmed revolver rounds to feed reliably from a box magazine. It's been done but the magazines are limited and not either cheap or common.

Joe S.

Hunter
I predict a 10mm will happen. Look at all the 10mm they have been putting out the last year or two. It only makes sense.

grobin said:
How about 10mm? I've got a 10mm Blackhawk 40/10 convertable. A PCC in 40/10 would be easier to load for and build. The 10mm pistols qualify for the very restrictive Colorado pistol hunting requirements (500ft# at 50 yards) although the PCC would not meet the rifle requirements of 1000ft# at 100 yards (apparently it would take a 460s&w or better. You'd still have the 40 mouse gun if you wanted.

Joe S.

Hunter
9mm is more popular/ affordable to shoot so why not cater to the popular artridge first.

Joe S.

Hunter
Yes it would be cool but us 357 shooters do have lever actions. Makes sense that a semi auto rifle should be chambered in something that can share mags with a semi auto pistol.

wrp0wers said:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Since Ruger and Glock don't make 357 Magnum auto pistols, nor the magazines for them, a 357 Magnum PPC is not likely. The only readily available 357 box style magazine is for the Desert Eagle pistol. The Ruger 77/357 is a fine magazine fed carbine with a QD magazine. If Ruger did make a carbine, it would probably resemble the 44 Deerfield and still only hold 5 or 6 rounds. A Henry, Marlin, or 92 Winchester will get the job done, just like it did 100 years ago. Bob!! 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
Since Ruger and Glock both make double stack magazines in 357 Sig, 40, 10mm, and 45acp, the possibility for a PPC in those is a lot more promising. I hope to see all of them at some point in the future. I'm still waiting on the 9mm's. Bob!! :D

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I was told by a old time Ruger employee that there were a few of the last model
Of the 44 mag Deer Slayer carbine made in357 ,rem maximum and they thought about.making model
96 lever gun in 357 ,rem maximum but both of those models are gone for good .I have a contender carbine and a encore carbine in 357 rem maximum both are fun as heck .I.am about to buy a highpoint.carbine in.10 mm I.have wanted a h&k,94 carbine in 10 mm but that's not.going to.happen .The pressure of a 10 mm is pretty high for a blow back gin unless it's a h&k roller block..