PC Carbine Scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moey

Bearcat
What do you suggest? Maybe a 4x? Haven't bought one in a long time.

wwb

Hunter
Scope choice depends mostly on intended use, and to some extent, the rifle. Given the limitations of a 9mm, a 4X is as high as you need to go.... a fixed 2.5X would probably be a better choice.

If I were to scope a 9mm Carbine, I'd look at a 1-3X or 1-4X variable; a fixed 4X is way too much for a close and moving target, but would be okay for strictly target use.

mikein

Single-Sixer
I would suggest that you investigate the use of a red dot unless you plan to do a lot of very precision shooting.

9x19

Hunter
On my 16" 9mm carbines I use a low-powered variable (1x-4x 24mm), one is from Millet, one is from Bushnell, both have illuminated center dots. They work well for me out to 100 yards, which is, for me, the longest range I'd shoot at much of anything with the 9mm. Although both of mine are AR pattern, I'm sure the same scopes would work just fine on the new Ruger carbines.

sEzDcdR.jpg

4ZaBsaL.jpg

I understand each one of us is physically different but I see many scopes mounted on a AR with the rear lens way to far back for a proper scope/eye distance. I have helped many at the range who did the same mistake. As a rule the rear lens of a scope should be about at the rear point of the receiver, no further to get the right eye relief. The ones pictured are mounted like a bolt gun eye relief.

Clump

Bearcat
I had a red dot on mine that worked well, but there's something about this rifle that keeps me messing with it, so ended up with a Vortex Crossfire 2-7. I've had it to the range a couple of times and really like it. I would need taller rings to move it farther forward. The magnification adjuster will interlock with the rail and not be adjustable any further forward. With the 2 spacers in the stock eye relief is fine.

Joe S.

Hunter
That's about as low a scope as I've seen in a LONG time!

I have a Burris Fast Fire 2 on mine. Great, compact red dot.

If i were to put a scope it would be a 1-4, or there abouts.

Squib308

Bearcat
my PC carbine is running a holosun 403gu. for 9mm there is absolutely no point in a magnified optic. heck even a 3 moa RMR like the vortex venom is fantastic. to me a 2 moa red dot is perfect. compared to 10 years ago there are so many excellent options for red dots it's simply amazing thesedays. for the $$ i'm a fan of the holosun red dots but there are plenty of other great choices out there.

wagon

Single-Sixer
I started with a Vortex SPARC, then switched to a Leupy Freedom 1.5-4x to help my older eyes to see the soda cans @ 75 yds. BTW, the new Freedom scope, despite less refine finishing and less subtle turrets, the glass is a tad better than my other VX-2s -- to my eyes, that is.

6hqnu1.jpg

mikein

Single-Sixer
I know about, and sympathize with the "old eyes" thing! My red/green dot is all I need for my 50 yard shots. I use red during the night hours and green during the day, 'cause my old eyebones see 'em better.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I got the PC9 specifically so I would not require a scope. The ghost sight works fine for me, and I'm an older guy.